Chicken Breast

Started by Oldman, January 26, 2005, 12:17:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

Well after gleaning out that chicken breast and bacon recipe I did my own today.

Nothing fancy. I did smoke them hotter than the recipe called for. Slider about 3/4 way to the right. (My guess would be 240 F.) I did this as I used 3 strips of bacon to wrap the breast in. By the puck count it was 2 2/3 hours.

I use Maple pucks. Next I took the breast and beat them thinner. Added one slice of a pretty good maple flavored ham, and then added grated provolone cheese. Wrapped it all up so no chicken was showing.

My wife is not a big smoke foods eater. Well she first said, you can do these anytime, and then  later said, You know if you did a couple more of these I could take them to school for lunch and drive my team mates crazy. [:D]

Next time I think I'm going to cut the chicken into two thin layers, so I can add a second layer of ham and cheese.
Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Chez Bubba

Sounds great Olds. And remember, you're making these because skinless, boneless chicken breast is healthy for you.[;)][:D][:D][:p]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

jaeger

Olds,
Sounds like a good addition to your smokin site!

Doug

oguard

So much to smoke so little time.
Sounds good Olds gonna give it a try[:p]
Keep On Smokin[:D][8D]
Mike
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

BigSmoker

I make something similiar.  I pound the chicken breasts out as flat as possible without turning it to mush.  Place 2 pieces of almost cooked bacon, a slice of your favorite cheese and a sprinkle of salt pepper and garlic powder(or your favorite rub).  Roll it up and secure with toothpicks if necessary.  Make an eggwash(1 egg and a little heavy cream) cover chicken with wash.  Remove and roll in a bowl of crushed cornflakes.  Cook until done.  I've never done these on the Bradley just the grill.  I not sure how the cornflakes would do being smoked?  Any opinions on how these would work on the Bradley.

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

[/url]
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

rogerdt

Jeff,
Your recipe sounds great, but I think that I would not bread with cornflake crumbs.  As an alternative you might want to stuff with something different, say ham, and then bacon wrap the breasts.  These coud then be smoked as per the instructions in the various other threads  about bacon wrapped chicken breasts.  This is definitely an item that will be on my weekend menu.

Roger

nsxbill

What are these called?  Chicken Con Puerco?  Love Cordon Bleu...these sound good too.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

BigSmoker

I believe a plain chicken breat pounded out and stuffed is one of the most versitile pieces of meat.  I have some cinamon flavored goat cheese I though about using with some kind of fruit or something and also some mango chutney that is kinda spicy that would be good with some kind of white gourmet cheese.  I like them stuffed with plain feta and basil leafs with sundried tomatoes.  Really your only limited to your imigination.  I'm also thinking spicy with some Mexican chorizo and some white Mexican cheese[:p].

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

[/url]
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigSmoker</i>
<br />I not sure how the cornflakes would do being smoked?  Any opinions on how these would work on the Bradley.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">In my experience, anything made of grain too readily accepts the smoke, resulting in a tarrish-yuck (love my scientific term?) flavor.

Jeff, I'd cold smoke the chicken, then prepare as per your instructions. If you pounded it flat before smoking, you'd probably only need about an hour.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Next time I think I'm going to cut the chicken into two thin layers, so I can add a second layer of ham and cheese.
Olds
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I did this and also reduced the smoke to 4 pucks.  Both my wife and myself thought it was better with the reduced amount of smoke. Total "cook" time remained the same.

Hours later after they were finish I took one and sliced it thinly. Made a sandwich out of it with tomato, lettuce and Mayo. All I can say is: [^]

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MallardWacker

Olds,

I know I'm late to the game~~that is a slam dunk of chicken recipe.  SOme many changes or variables you can make... I like something like that you can change around.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

nsxbill

I think that the next time I smoke chicken breasts, I am only going to do about 4-5 pucks max.  3 hrs. is too much, in my opinion.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I think that the next time I smoke chicken breasts, I am only going to do about 4-5 pucks max. 3 hrs. is too much, in my opinion.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hey all I got to tell you my wife is NOT a SMOKE eater. The first ones I did set her back. The second ones and she got.... with me about them [:D]

I agree with nsxbill. At my age I'm beginning to question what is the fine line. When do we cross over it. When do we allow one item to dominate the whole?

This Saturday I'm going to do some for Sunday's dinner. I will only use 3 pucks....maybe 2 1/2 if I keep tabs on the time. I will then wrap them in pastic and re-heat Sunday.

I have come to  believe that when bring all of the flavors together without one item over powering the rest is the key to an outstanding eating.

As I write this I'm reminded of something my Grandfather said...something about the mellowing of flavors...just don't quite remember what he said. I do know it was important to him.  Maybe it is this balance of flavors I'm posting about.

Perhaps the true smoker's art has been lost with the passing of the generation of my Grandfather's time.

I hope not. I do believe that the best refinded smokers of this generation are here.  That maybe will we will reach out and try a new balance. Find out what two generations ago knew. Then pass it on to the next. This is up to us.
Olds