• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

T Minus 4 days...

Started by Mulla, May 08, 2009, 07:04:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mulla

until my BS arrives from MD.  I can hardly wait, and what a great forum you guys have here.  I have been doing as much research as possible so that I won't have any down time as soon as the BS arrives.  I just got Rytek's sausage bible and has put a whole new perspective on sausages for me. 

So here is my first question...
Can I make a fresh sausage and smoke it?  I mean if I had to answer that I would say no because it clearly says no cure no smoke but is there a way to bring the BS to a temp high enough that would kill off any potential botulism from activating?  I guess the follow up to this is do you even necessarily want a smoked fresh sausage if the conditions were ok to smoke one?  Meaning are the flavor components in line with each other?  Obviously, the fresh sausages are a little easier to manage the first time around so I thought that I would give it a try before going up to the IC#1 sausage recipes.

Also, is there a good and hot sausage that you guys recommend for me to give a try on my first go?

Thanks,
Mulla

NePaSmoKer

Hi Mulla and welcome to the forum.

Usually fresh sausage is not smoked. Its ground, seasoned made into pattys or stuffed ready to cook, bbq, broil or freeze. If you added cure to the sausage you could smoke it.  Ryteks boof is pretty good and you can tweak his recipes. When i do smoked sausages i bring my smoker to 140* and bump up from there. Pork should be cured prior to smoking. Follow the book and you cant go wrong.

For your first go at sausage making i would do an easy one from the book. Meat is just getting too expensive to ruin and we all done that  ;D

Enjoy

nepas

OU812

Welcome to the fun

I like to cold smoke when i make fresh braught's or fresh german sausage with
1 hr pecan keep door open till smoke starts then put in the sausage.
Put in fridg over night and cook however you want.
Vacume seal the rest and freez the rest.
Had some brought's lastnight that i made back in March they were gooooooood.

I like to do this with my staeks also.

beefmann

welcome to the forum Mulla and you will enjoy this forum as well be on a learning curve... good luck and welcome again

Habanero Smoker

Hi Mulla;

Welcome to the forum.

You can smoke/cook fresh sausage in the Bradley, but you must keep you cabinet at 225°F or higher while you are applying smoke and until it reaches an internal temperature of 152°F. The cabinet temperature of 225°F, will be hot enough to bring the internal temperature of the sausage to 140°F is a safe period of time. Cooking sausage this way is to be served immediately; such as you would on a grill or frying pan. Also cooking sausage in this manner is the same as smoke/cooking any ground meat; such as fatties, meatloaf etc. I prefer the taste of fresh sausage over cured sausage. The cured sausage add that ham like flavor you get from sodium nitrite.

The "no cure no smoke" ref errs to "traditional smoking"; in which you do not use a temperature higher then 180°F. This is the  method NePas mentions, and is the best way to smoke sausage, and as stated you will need to add a cure.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)