Reveo Curing

Started by sodak, April 15, 2009, 07:20:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sodak

I'm curious...has anyone experimented with using the Reveo to speed up the curing process for meats?  Not the marinading process, just curing faster and deeper?

Tenpoint5

Most of my curing is dry cure. I dont see where the Reveo would help any. Might be helpful with a brine. But I for one wouldn't trust it. I will stick with the tried and true inject and brine soak method myself.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

smokeitall

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on April 15, 2009, 07:48:47 AM
Most of my curing is dry cure. I dont see where the Reveo would help any. Might be helpful with a brine. But I for one wouldn't trust it. I will stick with the tried and true inject and brine soak method myself.

Would that make you a meat soaker??? :D

sodak

I agree on the dry cure...it's most of what I use, too.  I was just out in the smoke shop last night "tuning the PID" (rim shot! ba-dump-pa-dump!) and the thought hit me when I was looking at the reveo box.

Habanero Smoker

I have never used the vacuum method during curing, but there are several members that have used their FoodSaver and vacuumed sealed meat that had a dry cure applied to shorten the curing process.

If you are using a wet brine to cure, the Reveo will decrease the curing time. You will still need to prepare it as you would for normal brining. If it is a large (thick) piece of meat, you will still may want to inject. You would also have to ensure that the meat in the container remains fully submerged.

How much faster it will cure, I can't answer that.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

I have 2 8lb briskets that are destination:Pastrami. I don't have any 3 Gallon bags, so I am going to try to cram them in a vac seal bag and seal away.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!