Smoked Turtle?

Started by BigSmoker, January 27, 2005, 08:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigSmoker

Not Kidding.  A friend of my oldest daughter keeps telling me he is going to catch a big mud turtle and then we need to smoke the turtle.  Is this feezable or just plain stupid?

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

[/url]
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

bsolomon

Well, it is certainly strange to us, but in other parts of the world?

http://www.biodiversityreporting.org/index.php?pageId=sub&lang=en_US&currentItem=article&docId=316&c=Ghana&cRef=Ghana&year=2001

Of course, the author wasn't too thrilled with the finished product, and there is that whole endanged species thing to consider[:D], but if he thinks "mud turtle" and "fine dining" are synonyms, more power too him!

Chez Bubba

Back in the Boy Scout days, I took the survival class at summer camp. We were allowed to bring the clothes on our back, a knife and 1/2# of hamburger for the 3-day weekend hike.

After harvesting cattail roots for a vegetable & skunk cabbage to cook the hamburger in, that was Friday dinner. We were on our own for the next two days.

Saturday afternoon we came across a big box turtle near the lake. Grabbed that sucker, hacked it up & stewed it using its' own shell as a pot. Man, did that taste good.

I would think if you wanted to smoke one, it would taste good. Hack it up & treat it like chicken, they really do taste similar. Not sure about mud turtles, though. Would you want to clean them out while alive in clean water like you do with crawdads?

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

BigSmoker

No I'm not going to eat an endangered species[;)].  Just wondered if anyone ever had fixed turtle.  I have an old cook book that talks about cleaning and preparing the turtle.  It is a little involved but sounds like it would be good.  I'll update and take lots of pics if we find a suitable subject.  

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

[/url]

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br />Saturday afternoon we came across a big box turtle near the lake. Grabbed that sucker, hacked it up & stewed it using its' own shell as a pot. Man, did that taste good.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That's a great story CB!  I was about to make a crack about how easy it would be to marinade.  Step 1, find a large non-metllic container to put your meat into - OK done, now what? LOL[:D]  Now it will have to read non-metallic and non-meatallic.

No wonder turtles are endangered...they came with their own cooking pot for crying out loud!!!  Cooking instructions for turtle - 1)Turn upside down 2)Add heat......[:D][:D]

Man I wish I could find a critter whose natural habitat is a Bradley Smoker.  I can just see somewhere in the interior of British Columbia there's a bunch of Bradley Smokers crawling around the forest floor with little legs sticking out the bottom.  Predator protection - smoke cover!!  The males are Stainless Steel, and every spring you can see them perch on logs and spin their top vents and open and close their doors in a mating ritual[:)][:)]

Edit - forgot a couple of letters in marinade

"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

MallardWacker

White,

I can see by this post it has<b> <font color="red"><i>been getting quite cold up there</i> </font id="red"></b><b><font color="blue">AND</font id="blue"> </b> <b><i><font color="red">the nights have been getting a little too long</font id="red"></i></b> <b><font color="blue">AND</font id="blue"></b> <b><u><font size="3"><font color="green">it has been way too long since you have used your Bradley.</font id="green">
</font id="size3">
</u> </b>

Yes I use the word "too" too much.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

BigSmoker

MW,
Very funny indeed.  I especially like your new addition at the bottom[:D]

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

[/url]

Oldman

As a poor boy who was raised on gator, rattlesnake, mullet, rabbit squarl I can tell you we had are share of turtle.

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

smokinrookieswife

Hey, Oldman, I have had just about everything you can have...wild, tamed, shot, whatever to eat. I had rattlesnake once. I also tasted copperhead! I have never had turtle though. Weird, I thought I had just about tasted everything!!! [8D] Just curious, what does turtle taste like? Chicken? LOL!!!! <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldman</i>
<br />As a poor boy who was raised on gator, rattlesnake, mullet, rabbit squarl I can tell you we had are share of turtle.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

smokem' from behind!

Oldman

I use to have family up your way. They lived over in Ranger. A turtle depending upon what part you eat can taste like many different things.

Now copperhead is one I missed as a boy and I'm sure glad I did too~~!

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Deguarddog

One of the best eating turtles is the alligator snapping turtle and it is in NO way an endangered species. Please feel free to eat as many as you want.

TedEbear

Anyhow, welcome aboard.