Wood Flavor for Blue Cheese, Please

Started by JJC, January 28, 2005, 04:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJC

Hi All,

Planning to do a Gorgonzola in the BS this weekend. I know I've seen rumblings about smokin' blue cheese, but a search for "blue cheese" (exact phrase) didn't pull up any specific wood flavors or times.  Anyone have a suggestion?

Paul (Manxman):  I think you had some bue cheese in your BS about a week ago--how did they turn out?

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

manxman

Hi John,

Yes, I tried Danish Blue cheese, oak smoked for about 3 hours using the John Watkins cold smoke method. I then wrapped it in cling film and left in the fridge for 24 hours.

To be honest I did'nt thing the oak smoking added anything to the already distinctive flavour of this cheese, probably just a personnal thing!? It was'nt unpleasant or anything, just had no "wow" factor!

I did'nt smoke a big quantity and have left the remainder in the fridge for another few days to see if it has improved, will try it again this weekend.

I hope to try an apple smoke with some cheddar in the next few days so may try another piece of blue cheese to see if that works out better.

Manxman.
Manxman

Cold Smoke

I've spent a number of hours trying to track down info on smoked blue- but haven't come up with much and nothing that suggests type of wood to use. Let us know how it turns out. I need a good recipe for the new cheese link we're working on.

Cold Smoke

MallardWacker

<b><font color="blue"><font face="Tahoma">ANYTHING but MESQUITE!</font id="Tahoma"> </font id="blue"> </b> [xx(]

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

JJC

Did a 2hr cold-smoke of the Gorgonzola last night . . . 4 apple + 2 hickory pucks.  It's in plastic wrap now waiting for Burns Supper to begin in about 2 hours.  I'll keep you posted . . . [:)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Phone Guy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC</i>
<br />Did a 2hr cold-smoke of the Gorgonzola last night . . . 4 apple + 2 hickory pucks.  It's in plastic wrap now waiting for Burns Supper to begin in about 2 hours.  I'll keep you posted . . . [:)]

John
Newton MA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
How did the cheese turn out? I love blue Cheese and I make a mean Mozzerella. Looking forward to smoking some. I would like to know your results.
Thanks

JJC

Hi PG,

The Gorgonzola was very good--it had a slightly golden "smoked" look along the edges, and the smoke taste was very mild.  It added subtley to the blue cheese flavor, but as Manx said, it was not a "Wow".  It's worth trying again, and I might try all hickory next time, perhpas for 3 hr . . .

Let me know how your mozz turns out.  Others on the Forum have had great luck with it!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA