What to do with my Rhubarb

Started by OU812, May 29, 2009, 02:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bullhead

Rhubarb jam is always good on toast.

Roadking

Rhubarb and your have too much. Wish I were in your shoes -- love that rhubarb.
Plow it under? I think Ka Hona is just jealous.

OU812

Thanks for all the replies.

I will be trying some of the recipes you all gave here.

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie does sound good, anyone have a good recipe?

Habanero Smoker

Yes! I'll try to post it tomorrow, but today it is taking forever to post, and sometimes the post don't go through. So I will see if this forum is working better tomorrow.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Habanero Smoker

When I was a kid I remember my mother making this pie during this time of year; maybe that is why it is my favorite. Both rhubarb and strawberries were readily available in the wild at the same time, and we would go in the fields and pick strawberries and gather rhubarb.

I could never duplicate my mother's recipe, but the recipe and baking instructions from Cook's Illustrated does a darn good job. This is a double crusted pie, so you need to make the pie crust, or do what I do and buy the Pillsbury premade pie crust.

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
2 tsp vegetable oil
1.5 lbs. rhubarb, cut into one inch lengths; half inch lengths is alright also (*trim and peel)
1 to 1.25 C sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
1 qt. strawberries, hulled and quartered
2 tsp. grated orange zest (optional, but highly recommended)
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 Tbsp arrow root
Pinch of salt
Egg white, lightly beaten
Makes enough for one 9 inch pie

1-Adjust oven rack to the lowest position, place a rimmed cookie sheet on the rack, and preheat oven to 500°F.

2-Heat oil in a 12 inch skillet over medium-high heat, when oil begins to smoke add rhubarb and 1/4 cup of sugar. Continue to cook, stirring frequently until the rhubarb has shed most of its liquid, but is still firm (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and spread rhubarb out over a platter and refrigerate until it is cool. Meanwhile prepare your pie dough and line the bottom of the pie pan with the bottom crust. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.

3-After rhubarb has cooled transfer to a bowl add strawberries, orange zest, and vanilla and toss together. In a small bowl mix arrowroot with 3/4 cup of sugar and salt together. Sprinkle this over the fruit mixture and toss thoroughly. Taste, and add up to 4 more tablespoons of sugar, if the fruit mixture is too tart.

• You must use arrowroot, if you try to substitute cornstarch the pie will be soupy.

4-Pour mixture into the unbaked pie crust, spread evenly, and pack lightly. Place the top crust over the fruit, seal and crimp the edges. Cut eight vent HOLES (not slits), and brush the crust with egg white and sprinkle with one tablespoon of sugar (I like to use Turbinado {Raw Sugar}).

5-Place pie into the preheated oven, and reduce heat to 425°F. Bake until top crust is a golden (about 25 minutes). Rotate baking sheet, reduce oven heat to 375°F. Continue to bake until juices are bubbling and the crust is a deep golden brown (about 30 to 35 minutes).

6-Transfer the pie to a cooling rack, and cool at room temperature. Pie can be stored at room temperature for up to two days, tightly covered with foil.

• *If your rhubarb is thicker then celery, which in most cases it will be, you should peel it (which is not an easy task until you done it a few times). If you don't want to peel it, try cutting it into 1/2 inch cubes. That may help a little, but observe carefully in step two, because it may shed it water faster then 5 minutes, and may soften.
  • If you don't like your rhubarb too tart, soak the stalks in cold water for an hour, just prior to cooking it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

OU812

Habs
Now that's what I'm looking for,a good recipe and something that walks the rookie through the steps.
Thanks All keep them coming.
Had rhubarb when I was a kid, did like smoketail said. The neighbor was a good cook and made all kinds of things out of rhubarb.
I just planted mine a couple years ago, now I can finely eat it. Cant wait.

Caribou

Hi OU812,
I love rhubarb!
I have a recipe on my blog that I show with a raspberry filling but it was originally a rhubarb pie recipe.
http://caribou-ificandoitmyself.blogspot.com/2009/04/want-more-room-in-your-freezer-bake-pie.html
My blog post is step by step.
follow the recipe exactly but use this filling instead:

Filling:
6 cups diced rhubarb
2 cups sugar
6 TBS all purpose flour
1 TBS chilled butter, cut into small pieces

I love this recipe because it has a "no-roll" crust which makes it really quick and easy.
Carolyn

OU812

Caribou thanks I need all the help I can get.
I ain't no baker. Still not sure if you measure flower b4 you sift or after.
Put a knife in my hand and I can bone a deer in nothing flat.

Caribou

Quote from: OU812 on June 02, 2009, 07:26:06 AM
To me, that's a more useful skill!
Flour usually comes pre-sifted anyways!
Carolyn

Wildcat

Habs - that is one of my favorite dishes and have not had it in years.  I hope you will be posting that one on the receipe site.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

OU812

Quote from: Caribou on June 02, 2009, 07:37:35 AM
Quote from: OU812 on June 02, 2009, 07:26:06 AM
To me, that's a more useful skill!
Flour usually comes pre-sifted anyways!
Carolyn

See what I mean I thought you had to sift the flower  :D

Ka Honu

Quote from: OU812 on June 02, 2009, 09:20:50 AMSee what I mean I thought you had to sift the flower  :D

Never sift the flower - the petals really gunk up your sieve.

OU812

Quote from: Ka Honu on June 02, 2009, 12:09:09 PM
Quote from: OU812 on June 02, 2009, 09:20:50 AMSee what I mean I thought you had to sift the flower  :D

Never sift the flower - the petals really gunk up your sieve.

I was wondering if anyone would catch that ;D

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Wildcat on June 02, 2009, 08:28:03 AM
Habs - that is one of my favorite dishes and have not had it in years.  I hope you will be posting that one on the receipe site.

I'll try to get it posted by the end of the week.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Wildcat

Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/