Have Turkey, Will Smoke

Started by mamba, January 29, 2005, 10:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamba

I'm currently brining a bird to smoke tomorrow.  I've read all the turkey topics so I have a pretty good idea as to what to expect tomorrow.  One question I have though is this:  For those who have smoked turkeys, do you rotate it halfway through or just leave it as is and pull it when the temp is right?

I'll report back on the effort tomorrow so others can learn from my success or opportunity for improvement.

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mamba</i>
<br />I'm currently brining a bird to smoke tomorrow.  I've read all the turkey topics so I have a pretty good idea as to what to expect tomorrow.  One question I have though is this:  For those who have smoked turkeys, do you rotate it halfway through or just leave it as is and pull it when the temp is right?

I'll report back on the effort tomorrow so others can learn from my success or opportunity for improvement.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I don't bother turning mine, but I do have fire bricks in the bottom of the smoker that help hold in the heat and distribute it more evenly.  I also tend to do small turkeys (less than 16 lbs), so that might make a difference, too.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

mamba

Good to know.  I saw someone talk about a ceramic bowl to help catch drippings and retain heat.  Don't have one of those but do have some corningware type bowls I thought I'd use.  We'll see how that works.

Habanero Smoker

I turn mine after about 4 - 6 hours, depending on the size of the bird. You will find that the back of the BS is hotter than the front. The only time I did not turn the turkey is when I smoked it vertically.

If this is your first turkey, be careful when you turn it or pull it out after it has finished smoking. A lot of hot juices will collect in the cavity of the bird, and will spill if you tilt the rack.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mamba

mamba

Turkey turned out pretty darn good for a very cheap bird that was given to me.  Had to finish it in the oven, but that just helped the skin crisp up a bit.  Next time I'll probably go with a decent product for starters, but I have to say the Bradley did great.  8.5 hours for a 12 pound bird at 200 plus another 30 minutes in the oven at 350.  About what everyone predicted.  Thanks for all the advice!

BigRed

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Habanero Smoker</i>
<br />I turn mine after about 4 - 6 hours, depending on the size of the bird. You will find that the back of the BS is hotter than the front. The only time I did not turn the turkey is when I smoked it vertically.

If this is your first turkey, be careful when you turn it or pull it out after it has finished smoking. A lot of hot juices will collect in the cavity of the bird, and will spill if you tilt the rack.

Hab!

Do you  actually turn the bird over or just rotate the rack so the front side goes to the back? Your right about the juices in the cavity I learned the hard way.

BigRED

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigRed</i>
Hab!

Do you  actually turn the bird over or just rotate the rack so the front side goes to the back? Your right about the juices in the cavity I learned the hard way.

BigRED
Now that I reread what I wrote, it does sound confusing. I rotate the rack so the side that was facing towards the front faces toward the back.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)