Recipe site -- who would have thougt???

Started by Oldman, May 19, 2009, 09:07:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deb415611

I agree it is a great site.  Thanks Olds & Habs!

kaz

DEB: THanks AGAIN for the recommendation to contact Tiny Tim for the purchase of my OBS>
He's really a great asset!!!
KAZ

Oldman

Quote from: kaz on May 19, 2009, 03:21:03 PM
You're right ........ I can see the recipes ....... just cant print or email them to my home folders.
Thanks for letting me know it may take a few days ........ I'll wait....... I don't have my OBS yet anyway.

I just checked and it says you joined today. I manually send out the letter of acceptance. It shows you as a current member. If you still are having problems then E-mail it to me and put "Smoker Recipe Site in the "subject line."

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

sodak

All of the above kudos to HS & Raye...  Many thanks for a very long time to come with these recipes...

ExpatCanadian

I too use the recipe site all the time...  sometime verbatim, sometime with my own mods or sometimes just to confirm a recipe I've found elsewhere isn't way out of whack!

...small problem I've had though is I can't actually register on that site as my e-mail account is with GMail, and has been since GMail started quite a few years ago now...  but for some reason that site won't accept it as a "legal" address....  it wants an ISP based address.  Anyway, this forum had no problem with my GMail address, nor does any other forum I'm registered on....  so not sure if that's been an oversight in the configuration of the Recipes forum or what, but it would be nice to get it sorted out.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: tdcooper on June 02, 2009, 07:06:16 AM
I too use the recipe site all the time...  sometime verbatim, sometime with my own mods or sometimes just to confirm a recipe I've found elsewhere isn't way out of whack!

...small problem I've had though is I can't actually register on that site as my e-mail account is with GMail, and has been since GMail started quite a few years ago now...  but for some reason that site won't accept it as a "legal" address....  it wants an ISP based address.  Anyway, this forum had no problem with my GMail address, nor does any other forum I'm registered on....  so not sure if that's been an oversight in the configuration of the Recipes forum or what, but it would be nice to get it sorted out.

Olds setup the protection like that to avoid spammers from posting. Go to the site and send him an email or post on the forum, or go to his profile and send him an email he will see it sooner (don't PM him, he does not read PM's). Explain your situation, and that you are an active member of this forum he may grant you an exception and allow you to use your current email address.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oldman

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on June 02, 2009, 02:03:40 PM
Quote from: tdcooper on June 02, 2009, 07:06:16 AM

Olds setup the protection like that to avoid spammers from posting. Go to the site and send him an email or post on the forum, or go to his profile and send him an email he will see it sooner (don't PM him, he does not read PM's). Explain your situation, and that you are an active member of this forum he may grant you an exception and allow you to use your current email address.
Hab is correct.  If I allow 3rd party addy then sooner or later some fool will spam us. It has happen in the past and as such I do not allow 3rd party addys. Sorry.

I can only say that you still have access to the full site. If you want to join you will have to use a real ISP E-mail addy.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

ExpatCanadian

I've noticed you do use Captcha technology on your site...  which does make it seriously difficult for automated registrations by spammers, regardless of their e-mail address.... so I have to say, I don't agree with your rationale behind the additional step of banning publicly obtainable e-mail addresses, however well intended it may be.

Although I do have an ISP based address, it's only because they give you one when you sign up...  I've never used it, and never intend to.  I change ISP's every so often as new and/or better deals come about, much like I change my mobile phone provider and my gas/electricity suppliers depending on who is offering the best deals that year.  Gosh what a pain it would be if I had to use a new e-mail address every time!

Anyway, it's your house, and your rules, and of course I respect that. But my GMail address was good enough for this forum and many similar ones...  and IMHO should be good enough for yours  :)

CB

I have to manually review all new registrants on my forum and web log - because recently the auto-hackers have figured out how to over come the special registration system in place.  It's a real pain the neck and time sink hole.  About 2 or more cumulative hours per week, every week. Seems small I know - but so many better things to do with my time!

With small operations, every minute wasted can be spent doing other, more important things....like, uh...cooking something or jawing here.

BTW - great recipe site.  I am inspired by it often.

b
Happy Grilling!

Oldman

Quote from: CB on June 03, 2009, 02:31:08 PM
I have to manually review all new registrants on my forum and web log - because recently the auto-hackers have figured out how to over come the special registration system in place.  It's a real pain the neck and time sink hole.  About 2 or more cumulative hours per week, every week. Seems small I know - but so many better things to do with my time!

With small operations, every minute wasted can be spent doing other, more important things....like, uh...cooking something or jawing here.

BTW - great recipe site.  I am inspired by it often.

b

QuoteI've noticed you do use Captcha technology on your site...  which does make it seriously difficult for automated registrations by spammers, regardless of their e-mail address
I spent about 1 1/2 hours today getting rid of the trash. One was an auto spammer. Its IP is 83.149.71.137  You can read about it here: http://www.forumpostersunion.com/showthread.php?t=4246 It went by the name Èäåçè. (It auto registratured.)

Cyberdude and I talked today and we are going to be totally upgrading the site. This should stop a lot of the current problems.

As I said you can access the whole site and download anything you want. But until you register you cannot post a hello or a recipe.

ExpatCanadian

Dang...  those guys are good....  >:(

Anyway, I can see why you have to take measures.  Good luck with your upgrades....  hopefully it stops the problems and in future hopefully I'll be able to register with my active GMail address and actually contribute.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: tdcooper on June 04, 2009, 12:15:03 AM
Dang...  those guys are good....  >:(

Anyway, I can see why you have to take measures.  Good luck with your upgrades....  hopefully it stops the problems and in future hopefully I'll be able to register with my active GMail address and actually contribute.

If you come up with a good recipe and want it posted on the recipe site, you can still contribute without registering. You can post the recipe on this site, and request to have it posted on the recipe site also. The recipe site mainly has recipes and modifications that were originally posted on this forum.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ExpatCanadian

Yeah...  I know, in fact I'm not actually sure why I'm being so stubborn about this....  nobody's telling me I can't use the site, and as you said I can still contribute... so anyway, just have to suck it up and let Oldman run his site as he sees fit.

As with anything in life, small deal, big deal or no deal, it's the small minority of bad guys that wreck it for the rest of us good guys.  I travel a lot...  spend far too much time in airports....  so don't even get me started on how I feel about all the hassles surrounding that these days  >:( >:( >:(!!

Anyway, totally getting off topic now.... I think I sort of hijacked what started out as a very positive thread praising the recipe site.  So let me be be the first one to move it BACK in that direction by saying I use it virtually daily... and have just put together yet another list of recipes to try in the next week or so...  WELL DONE and THANKS to those maintaining it!