New DBS Temp Variations

Started by Elprez, June 04, 2009, 06:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elprez

I just got my DBS and was going through the seasoning routine. I set the temp to 150 and noticed the readout temp went up to about 190. Out of curiosity I plugged in my maverick thermometer and it is reading 150 now and the smoker is reading 162. Is that variation normal? Do I need to assume the smoker readout will always be about 10 degrees off? Was that normal for the smoker to go to 190 even though I had the oven temp set at 152? (as per the instructions)

RocketSurgeon

I just went through the seasoning process tonight myself.  After reading a lot of different threads on the forum, I decided to put both temp probes from my maverick in the box during the process, one on the top shelf, the other on the bottom shelf to see the temp spread.  I saw about 20-30 degrees difference and the smoker averaged in between the two readings of my maverick.

I did see quite a variation campared to the set temp, however.  Mine seemed to exceed the set temp for the first 30-40 minutes before settling closer to the set temp.  I hung around 30 degrees above set temp for the first while it was running.  This was on the upper maverick probe so it appeared the DBS sensor was running about 10-15 degrees higher than the set temp.  I don't think this is enough to worry about though.

If you are concerned by the differences in the readings you got, I would suggest putting your thermometer next to the built-in thermometer in the box and trying it again to get a true reading of the possible inaccuracy.  This would allow you to offset  temps for the difference if you need to.  I don't know if it really matters or not though, perhaps someone with more than an hours worth of smoking experience should weigh in on the subject...  ;D

Gizmo

Welcome.

The temperature controller on the Digitals is not tight like a PID or other controller.  It is some what slow reacting.  The biggest variation in temperature will come from the load of food you put in.  It is always recommended to use an external temp probe located near the meat to determine the actual temp the meat is exposed to. Tight control is not super critical for most of what you will do with this type of smoker but some have found convenience in adding external devices to increase the temperature control to just a couple of degrees. This is more desirable when doing sausages and foods that will "fat out" if they get too hot.

I would strongly suggest using the smoker for some time before jumping in on adding an external controller.   Many here have used their smokers for a long time without using external controllers. On the other hand,   :D  :D it is another toy I mean tool to have.  ;D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

lumpy

Don't forget to pre-heat your unit. I give at least 1.5 hours before I stick anything in it. While the unit is pre-heating, remove your meat from cold and let it "warm up". This should stop a huge temperature difference when starting.

Lumpy