Warped rear wall of smoker

Started by Smokeville, June 03, 2009, 07:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokeville

Hi all;

My smoker has two hot spots --- back left and back right. When I discovered this (while roasting almonds), I then noticed that the drip pan has two gaps -- back left and back right. This is because the rear wall of the smoker has a warp in it so that the drip pan doesn't make continuous contact at the rear.

Is this "normal?"

Also, I just noticed that the front plastic plate around the heat control is cracked right through.

I've only had the OBS for about 6 weeks. I love it but I'm wondering about durability.

Thanks, Rich

Ka Honu

That ain't the way it's supposed to be.  I'm thinkin' it's about time for you to call Brian at Bradley before you have an "incident" where something, possibly grease dripping down the back wall, hits the heating element and fries your machine.  That would not be pretty (see the thread here).

Deflated

I noticed a similar problem with the top of my smoker yesterday.  I went out to check on the temp. and noticed the vent was no longer touching the top of the box.  I was able to push down on the middle of the vent and it popped back down, but as soon as I took pressure off it would pop right back up.  It went back to normal after I was done smoking and everything had cooled down.  Is this pretty common?

Habanero Smoker

I've had mine for almost 5 years, mine is slightly warped in the back towards the top. As for the crack in the face plate that is quite common. You are still under warranty, so Brian should be responding soon.

Cracked faceplate.
I'm just getting ready to add front feet. When I do I will post the size of the washers and screws you need to us; if you make this modification.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smokin Soon

My vent does not sit flat any more and has not affected any of my smokes. My 50% is probably 75% now. More vent is allways better that less so I don't really care.

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi Rich

Are the hot spots you are feeling in-line with the heat element?

There will be a gap between the drip tray and the back wall at the corners it is caused by the metal expanding from the heat element
It does not affect the performance of the smoker,
Grease should not be running down the back wall or side walls you will only get that if your food is touching the walls of the smoker

Your Lower face plate should not have a crack in it give the office a call and we can send you a new one

Brian

Smokeville

Thanks, everyone....

I'll reply with more tomorrow...

Rich

Smokeville

Quote from: Bradley (Head Office) on June 03, 2009, 05:41:26 PM
Hi Rich

Are the hot spots you are feeling in-line with the heat element?

There will be a gap between the drip tray and the back wall at the corners it is caused by the metal expanding from the heat element
It does not affect the performance of the smoker,
Grease should not be running down the back wall or side walls you will only get that if your food is touching the walls of the smoker

Your Lower face plate should not have a crack in it give the office a call and we can send you a new one

Brian

Hi Brian;

I did a test today as i am smoking a blade roast..... I put in a thermometer beside the roast and got the temperature, then placed it at the back left. The temperature was the same.

On reflection, I remembered that I used cheesecloth when i smoked the almonds. At other times using cheesecloth, like smoking small scallops, I had learned that even a single layer of cheesecloth acts as a thermal and smoke barrier.

The smoke and heat found the place to go --- out the small gaps at the back and right of the racks. That explains the hot spots.

I'll call Bradley about the crack in the front panel.

Thanks, Rich