• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Trying a variation of the ABT's

Started by SmokinMoe, January 31, 2005, 07:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cold Smoke

All you guys and ladies are making me thing twice about doing another batch of ABTs- these were great until....

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Cold Smoke
Advanced Member

Canada
206 Posts
 Posted - 06 Aug 2004 :  22:08:59          
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I made a batch of ABTs using large jalapenos recently- wrapped in my very own bacon to boot. Now, I've made these in the past and they were very tasty but I thought they lacked a bit of heat. I like heat and I think I can tolerate a fair dose- I can eat a can/jar of those little sliced pickled 'penos, no problemo. I can suck them back like a python in a bunny cage without having to reach for a napkin to wipe my brow. However this time these little babies caught me off guard. Big time. After the first big bite I was doing the George Jefferson while my wife ran to call 911 -"Get me the fire department". HOT !! Like Africa hot! I'm not sure if I just got a batch of mutant jalapenos or what but they acted alot like habaneros.

"Ola! Senorita, dos (2)cerveza por favor!! And keep them coming".

In the past I noticed that if the peppers weren't completely cooked they retained some good heat but were kinda mild if completely cooked. This last batch was completely cooked through yet still made my knees buckle. Anyone else have this happen?

That was a week ago- my speech is just starting to come back and the swelling has gone down some....

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

A little gun-shy I guess. I think I now know how a lobster might feel except from the inside out...."Git back on the horse you sorry lookin', yellow bellied so and so...."

Cold Smoke

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SmokinMoe</i>
<br />The water chestnuts could work since it wouldn't really absorb moisture to make it soggy like the chips or the ramon noodles would.
Looks like you are on to something. I don't want to sound pushy [:D], but don't overlook jicama. I often use it in place of water chestnuts. It has a mild flavor that tastes like a cross between an apple and potato, but it always stays crisp whether it is raw, roasted, sautéed or boiled.

Now I'm getting hungry. I'm going to have to locate my recipe of pineapple and jicama salad.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><font color="red"><i>Originally posted by BigSmoker</i>
<br />I love ABT's[:D].......I had some left over Pork Mexicali(pork loin stuffed with chorizo, shrimp, onions, garlic, cilantro, cumin, japs and S&P). I made little canoes out of the peppers and removed all the inards.  I put a slice of cream cheese in the bottom of each pepper, chopped pork mex. packed on top of that, then salsa mixed with shreaded Mexican cheese on top of that and finally wrapped with 2 slices of bacon.....Abt's gotta love 'em[:D].</font id="red">

Man Jeff, I bet it's even fun being your dog....You can really frustrate a guy, can't smoke this weekend, darn it.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

MallardWacker

Moe, Jeff and Folks,

I know this is not ABT's but close, since we were going down the road of variations.  Just an idea, I saw this on Iron Chef a couple of nights ago.  The guy cut asparagus, then wrapped in Bacon[:p] then deep fried it, ya deep fried in a wok.  Well being a lover of Bacon[:p] and asparagus, the wheel started turning, you know where I am going here.  Thinking of getting fresh asparagus, then peeling the lower shaft, cutting in half then, you know, wrap the two pieces it in Bacon[:p] then smoke along side my ABT's.  I think this should work, I am sure it would be better than my Yellow Squash[xx(][xx(] experiment.  Any ideas OR am I having a brain fart here.  Smoked~~Bacon[:p] flavored asparagus.  Would you add anything??

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

BigSmoker

I've grilled asparagas with good success.  I don't see any reason adding some yummy bacon and maybe some maple pucks could hurt a thing[:D]  Let us know what you find out.

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

[/url]
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

whitetailfan

Mallard,
Are you thinking of shoving anything between the asparagus halves?
If not, why cut in half?
I have to re-read this thread and some others...I'm obviously missing something...never having made ABT's yet.

My newest whitetail turns one at the end of the month.  I think maybe I'll cook supper and make it Chicken Cordon Olds, and ABT's

"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Are you thinking of shoving anything between the asparagus halves?
If not, why cut in half?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">My thought was because of the flower(?) part of the sprig gets a little limp and can get a bit soft.(holster it kirk)  This would help support it.  Also I think if I wanted to put something else in the wrap, this would help also... Any Ideas on what I could put in with them?... Ahh you too have been looking at Olds creation.  Now that "The Sacred Season" is over AND I do't have any BB games.  I was going to do the same, Olds Chicken Rolls, ABT's and asparagus.  The Jalapenos that have been coming into the stores lately have been quite mild, I think it's time.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">My newest whitetail turns one at the end of the month<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Are you with Child White(your wife)????Man CONGRATS!!!THAT IS WONDERUL NEWS....(Just keep him away from the Mesqite(The devil"s[}:)] wood).

Jeff:  I tried out the beef ribs with cherry wood, they did turn out great.  Never tried cherry before, it's a bit stronger than I thought it would be.  Very dark smoke on the meat.  I'm still loving that apple though...I'm sure I will go back to my old gilfriend, maple~soon.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

BigSmoker

MW,
Glad you liked the ribs[:D].  I used maple on some smoked chicken breasts(for smoked chicken salad) and the wing recipe I posted today.  I like the maple as well.  Good stuff.

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

[/url]

SmokinMoe

I am trying it again on Wednesday.
I smoked some chicken breast and put it in the frig to give the smoke time to really get in the chicken.  I am going to really cut it up fine, add some onion, some montarey jack cheese, some vinegar chips crushed and put it all in a green bell pepper to smoke.
I hope it works, because it really sounds good to me right now.
I will post my results.
"If I have to cook, I might as well watch it all go up in smoke!"

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by MallardWacker</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">My newest whitetail <font color="red">turns one</font id="red"> at the end of the month<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"><font color="red">Are you with Child White(your wife)????</font id="red">Man CONGRATS!!!THAT IS WONDERUL NEWS....(Just keep him away from the Mesqite(The devil"s[}:)] wood).

Mallard,
First - thank you for your support, and for the interest in my life other than smoking.
Second - have you been been keeping your nose a little too close to the smoke generator lately?  I'm not sure about the gestational requirements of all mammals, but...

"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

Chez Bubba

OK,

Tell me what I did wrong, or am I just a goof?

Tried ABT's for the first time this weekend. I didn't feel like sifting through all the threads here so I went to Olds' Best of the Best site & kind of followed those directions.

I don't care for cream cheese with jalapenos so I subbed out cheddar. I didn't have any reserved pulled pork so opted for chopped up, twice smoked andouille sausage. I had thought that you sliced off the top of the chile & gutted it before stuffing, not split them lengthwise. However, splitting them lengthwise seemed to make sense with the bacon wrap. So, I tried some both ways.

The lengthwise ones tasted like rich bacon, very tasty mind you, but no cheese or jalapeno or andouille flavors. The top-chopped ones were better in flavor infusion, but still, bacon was the predominant flavor. All of you know I am a big fan of bacon, but this was overwhelming.

It was to the point where my body said "NO!" to more fats & I couldn't finish the main course, a wimpy-size, boneless ribeye. This coming from someone who can scarf down a 32oz, no questions asked.

The bacon was nice & crisp, the peppers cooked well & the cheese was melted. What'd I do wrong?[B)]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Oldman

Chez,

I'm going to take a guess on this based on my last bacon wrapped chicken,

This last time my wife picked up the bacon and got a name brand. Well it was over powering in bacon flavoring. The time before I used an off-brand that offer no "flavoring" like "hickory smoked" etc..  That was much better. It was not over powering.  Hope this helps.
Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MallardWacker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by whitetailfan</i>
<br />Mallard,
First - thank you for your support, and for the interest in my life other than smoking.
Second - have you been been keeping your nose a little too close to the smoke generator lately?  I'm not sure about the gestational requirements of all mammals, but...

"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
<b><font color="blue">Tell me the many ways you can spell</font id="blue"></b> <font size="2"><b><font color="red"><u>DORK</u></font id="red"></b></font id="size2">
<i>But what ever you do, you STILL need to keep him away fromy that devil wood.</i>

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

BigSmoker

Kirk,
I'm with Olds.  Use the cheap thin bacon.  It has less flavor and it usually stretches around the pepper good.  I always use cream cheese in combo with the meat, a little fresh rub and sometimes other cheeses.  As far as your technique you may prefer to cut the top off the pepper, clean out the guts, stuff the pepper then drape 1/2 piece or even 1/4 piece of bacon over the top just to hold the stuffing in.  I've done sausage ABT's before but have found brisket is best IMHO.  Give it another try and see.  I also think ABT's are one of those things that you either really love or just go Uhh..
Happy Smokin'.

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

[/url]

JJC

Hi Kirk,

I agree with Olds and Jeff.  I think cream cheese is a key ingredient, along with thin, unflavored bacon.  I also found that I had to spice up the meat I used to stuff with with a rub--even chopped pulled pork didn't stand up to the pepper without some help [:)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA