summer fishin' thread

Started by tsquared, June 21, 2009, 09:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsquared

I know Caney, Kummok and many others are just as nuts about fishing as I am, so i thought I would start a summer fishing thread--on the fresh or salt--doesn't matter! I finally got out for my first day on Saturday. These 2 springs were caught about 20 minutes away from my marina, one 29 and the other 33 lbs--looks to be a good summer. The boss and I are arguing about the fate of these fish--grill or smoker. She says "Go catch some more for the smoker, these are for the grill and summer guests!" I don't mind losing this argument 'cause I get  to go fish more(and eat some planked salmon!). ;D
cheers,
T2

Gizmo

With those to lunkers it looks like you have 1 for smoking and 1 for grillin. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

tsquared

You're a wise man Giz, but I'm a fishin fool!! Any excuse will do!
T2

Caneyscud

Good looking fish.  Certainly much bigger than I tied into on Thursday.  Stopped counting at about 20 or so - bunch of browns and a few brookies for fun - all stockers.  And one largemouth of about 2 pounds.  She tasted good fried up that night.  Not a good sign though - means the river is warmer than it should be this time of year! 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

smokeitall

Those fillets might just be a tad bigger than the bluegill ones I fried up last night.

Mr Walleye

Great lookin fish T2!

At the end of May I was in Northern Manitoba for a week of fishing, and I just got back from a tournament on Diefenbaker Lake late last night. We were there for 5 days, the tournament was a 2 day event. We averaged around 30 walleye a day but unfortunately the big ones weren't as cooperative as we'd hoped.  ::) Weather was great except yesterday we had 2 inches of rain during the tournament.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Mr Walleye

I thought I would throw in some picture from Northern Manitoba...

It's beautiful country located in the shield. The first couple of pictures are deceiving, you can see in the next few we got stuck in the ice trying to get back to camp. It was all fun though!  ;)

Lots of wildlife too....

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

westexasmoker

Mike, thats some beautiful country there....I remember my days going to Seattle, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

KyNola

Mike,
What beautiful photos.  Nature is so amazing and breathtaking.  Thanks for sharing those.

KyNola

tsquared

Here's a fishing story that happened today on my fishing grounds.It was posted by one of the local fishing guides. (I was at work :()
QuoteStarted at the trap and hit a 20 before I even got the 2nd cannonball one the rigger. Lost another later, (sawed off leader) also 3 hatchery coho, then part of L pod showed up heading west. Ran to Sheringham and picked up a 15 on the first pass and another hatchery coho. Lost another spring just before the whales arrived again. Then the fun began. One of the other 2 boats there hooked a big fish. They fought it while the whales were passing by. I saw 3 females turn back to the east heading right for them. I knew what was coming. The 3 people in the boat saw it too and started to work the fish more aggressively to the boat. The flasher was up but the fish stayed about 10-15 feet away from the boat. The whales closed in. The guy holding the net started smacking the water with it trying to spook the whales. They got the flasher to within a foot or two of the rod tip but the fish was going nuts. The net guyed tried a couple of times to snag it. The line and flasher went quickly towards the bow, I knew a whale had it. Then the line eased off and the net was quickly slipped under a 30+ pound spring. The female on board started yipping it up as they managed to land the big fish. They told me a few minutes later that the whale did have the fish in it mouth but it slipped out. They managed to net it before the whale could get turned around for a 2nd attempt. The 3 whales swam back and forth around their boat for a few minutes trying to find the fish. What a great thing to watch and what a story they have to tell!

A few years ago 2 idiots in a 12 foot boat whacked a killer whale over the snout while it was stealing their sockeye, bad bad decision. The whale spent the next 5 long minutes thrashing around their boat and giving them the old Nantucket sleigh ride!!

BTW--great pics Mike--looks like a great trip!
T2

Kummok

Dang....those are some really nice Kings T2!! How 'bout scaring a few up this way.....still slim pickin's on those critters up here off the Cook Inlet right now. Got word today that they're in the Copper River, but not a lot of King action down on this end this Spring.....just as well as this is the designated summer for finishing all the outside decks/siding/etc... :-\

Caneyscud

Better than my Dad did 2 weeks ago.  He was up there on a cruise and went out (can't remember where though) and all the boat could do was a couple of shakers. 

Caneyscud

BTW, Mike, we might have to talk to Bryan about banning pics unless there is an invite attached.  Man that looks like a dream place to spend some time - fishing or actually catching a fish would just be icing on the cake.  And Ice also!  I've got to go Walleye fishing some day.  They say they are good eating!  ;D  I've caught a few sauger as by-catch of bassing or trout fishing, but never a walleye.  Sorta strange being that the world record walleye was caught here on a lake within the city limits of Nashville.  I think I'm gonna have to go throw some poppers to the bluegill at the lake down the road at lunch!  Bet I won't encounter any ice - 96 deg forecast  ;D 

Kummok

Quote from: Caneyscud on June 23, 2009, 05:50:25 AM
BTW, Mike, we might have to talk to Bryan about banning pics unless there is an invite attached. .....

You're invited.....but bring a nail gun!!  ;) :D :D

Caneyscud

Let's see barn door halibut - Ling Cod - and a nail gun!  My curiosity and imagination is running wild!   ;D ;D