Smoked Bologna

Started by Deflated, June 23, 2009, 10:26:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deflated

I have a friend who has been asking me to do this for a long time so I finally broke down and bought a 4 1/2 lb. chunk of bologna last night.  I'm wondering if I should cut it in half to increase the surface area that will be exposed to the smoke?  Anyone got any suggestion or tips that I should follow?   Rub v.s. no rub?  Score the outside of leave it the way it is?  Cook time and temp suggestions would be good too.   Thanks

Matt

Caneyscud

Smoked bologna is almost always a hit with a bunch of guys.  Score lightly or not - your choice (I like too - it looks PRETTY - and more smoke surface).  I always sprinkle some rub on it, although not much sticks, so if you want more to stick might rub it with some oil, or spray it with some Pam before sprinkling on the rub - and a finely ground rubs stick better.  Then smoke until it looks the way you want it or how much smoke you want.  You almost can't ruin it.  Usually 3 or 4 hours for me, but I forgot it one time for probably 10+ hours and although it was very dark, dry and crispy on the outside, it was great tasting - bologna bark!  
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"