FRANKENSMOKER

Started by mgg, February 12, 2005, 05:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgg

Hi all has anyone thought of or even better attempted to install a window? I understand one would have to clean it frequently but it would be fun to look in instead of though the damper vent. With all of the accessories and such available I think a frankenstein BSS might be cool.[:)]
Michael

nsxbill

Don't think you would see much unless you also installed a Frankenlight inside.  It does get pretty Frankingsmokey.[:D].  

Nothing to preclude that if reference to heat loss if you used an insulated glass panel, but I just let the temp tell me when it is done and don't need to watch it look browner or blacker as smoke proceeds.  

I would have liked to sneak a peak when I first got my smoker, but don't see the need as long as the temp is controlled now with the Guru.  It doesn't have to look pretty...just has to taste good, and I can wait to look until I am taking the item I am smoking out when it has reached target temp.

Give it a try.  I would be interested to see how it comes out.  I think I would want a full view window so I could see all racks at once.  Would have to be the door...who cares if the thermometer is lost.  The sides support the rack and the back has the tube.  Don't know where the wires are in the back, and don't know how strong the door hinges are to use extra weight of insulated glass door.

Many take a light and shine it through the top vents.  Not workable for me.  I would rather have the smoker cabinet more at normal height so these old bones don't have me bending over taking racks in and out.

Keep us up on this Baron von Frankenstein.  

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

window hmm, after 4 hours of smoke , dont think you would be able to see threw it , the glass would be a light brown from the smoke, just a thought.

JJC

Kind of agree with both Bill and Rob on this one . . . even  expensive woodstoves have glass that clouds up quickly at low/smoky temps like the BS will experience.  Also, when the wife and I bought our last oven a few years ago, I made  big deal out of getting one with a big window in it so we could see the food as it cooked.  Turns out that even with a big window and the higher temps of a kitchen oven, it's really hard to really tell what's happening to the food.  I must admit that I have to summon up all of my discipline to trust the Maverick and the BS and not peek, but the BS has come through for me 90+ percent of the time, and I've only had a couple months experience with it.  I'd love to see you try it and let us know how it worked, but I have to say I'm skeptical about the success of your venture.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Habanero Smoker

This has been discussed before on this forum. Refer to the following thread http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=553&SearchTerms=glass,window . I wouldn't waste any time on putting a window in the door.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Kummok

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsxbill</i>
<br />Don't think you would see much unless you also installed a Frankenlight inside.  It does get pretty Frankingsmokey.[:D].
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

ROFLMAO [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

mgg

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the feedback. It appears that for several reasons, A frankenwindow isn't the best idea. So far I'm enjoying the forum and eating way more good food than I should be. I couldn't find a butt Friday night so I bought a picnic shoulder. I cut off the skin and followed with a dry rub overnight. It took with the GURU off ramp mode about 16 hours not counting the FTC. (about 12 lbs after the trimming).It turned out pretty moist but just a little tougher than a Butt. Still a great pull.[:p]
Michael

humpa

mgg....what was internal temp?  I do my pulled pork at 195 deg, FTC with a couple sprays of apple juice, wrap it up and let it  sleep for a few hours. Give us the exact info and maybe someone can help you to resolve your minor setback.

Ernie....Weymouth, MA

MallardWacker

I know I'm weird, but I kinda of enjoy opening the old BS after 7hrs on a butt and seeing what it looks like.  Accually it's nice to have smoker like Bradley where you don't have to worry about opening the door and finding a catastrophy.  Now if you had a <font color="red"><b><s>[}:)]CookShack[}:)]</s></b></font id="red"> that would be another story all to gether, you will need more than a window for that.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

mgg

Hi humpa,
I set the Internal temp at 215F and this morning got into the meat for a slight breakfast snack. It was much more close to my expectations. I just warmed it up in the microwave. I was wondering if it might have been just a tougher side to the picnic. I've been reading <u>Smoke & Spice</u> and its fired me up to keep smoking but more Butts or Briskys
Michael