First Pulled Pork "question"

Started by mikecorn.1, July 08, 2009, 06:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikecorn.1

When the smoking is done and the pork butt ready to go in the oven, does it need to be covered with aluminum paper or does it go in uncovered. I bought a small pork butt 8.5 lbs. I have been reading about i.t. ranging from 190 to 203 and an oven temp ranging from 210 to 230. What would be an ideal if there are such temps to cook the butt to. (I.T. and oven temp) Thanks for any information . ???

My username mikecorn.1 comes from my wife's name and mine.   Michael and Corina (corn) this is what her brothers call her sometimes. the .1 means we became one when we got married.  (how cheesy, right)  :-[
Mike

HawkeyeSmokes

Hey Mike,

Smoked mine for 4 hours trying to hold about a 220 deg smoker. Then I boated mine (foil pan with a splash of apple juice maybe a 1/3 Cup) then covered with foil. Cooked over night in the oven at 220 again. The IT temp was 203 when I got up and checked it. Worried about that as it was a bit higher than I wanted. But I did the FTC to the butt for about 2 hours then started pulling it. It was awesome. Guess every one is right, the pork butt is a bit forgiving.

Keep posting, asking and lots of pics.
HawkeyeSmokes

beefmann

the oven  temp should be between 215 and 230 and meat IT temp to pull should be 195 to 205

KyNola

Hey Mike,
You're going to get 2 different camps on covering the butt in foil when placing in the oven.  One group will say yes.  I am in the other camp.  Mine goes on a rack in a roasting pan uncovered with nothing else in the bottom of the pan.  I am of the opinion that uncovered yields a better bark than covered.  When the cooking is completed, then I wrap in foil for a couple of hours if I'm not serving immediately.

Either way, you'll be fine!
KyNola

FLBentRider

I wonder if keeping the oven temp under 212F would keep the moisture from evaporating since it would not turn to steam ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

lumpy

Hey Mike,
As you have read there are different opinions on this. Both are right because it depends on personal preference.

Try both methods and you can decide.
For me, I like the tent.........I find the meat just a litle more tender and I'm not too crazy about the bark.

Lumpy

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: FLBentRider on July 09, 2009, 07:12:52 AM
I wonder if keeping the oven temp under 212F would keep the moisture from evaporating since it would not turn to steam ?

Water evaporates at almost all temperatures, but the rate is faster when it reaches the boiling point. For example place an ice cube in your freezer, and let it stay there for about a month. Due to the dry environment of the freezer, the ice will evaporate, until it is all gone.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Up In Smoke

I have gone as high as 210 IT (accidentally) FTC for an hour and then pulled.
handled like hot butter! they were butts with about 1/4 inch fat blanket, bone in.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

mikecorn.1

I don't have an instant read thermometer. Can i use my maverick et73 to monitor it in the oven or will it damage the wire by closing the door on it. Also, what kind of instant thermometer would you guys recommend. thanks again.    ???
Mike

westexasmoker

Most use the Thermopen.....closing the door on your wire is not a problem, I use that method all the time!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

HawkeyeSmokes

Should be fine to use your ET73 in the oven. The door has a soft gasket that won't harm the cable. For an instant read, seems like the thermapen is the way to go. http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/tpen_home.html
Don't have mine yet, but hope to soon.
HawkeyeSmokes

mikecorn.1

Hey there, thanks Hawk. We'll be looking at that link here soon as I get home.
Mike

KyNola

Mike,
I use the ET-73 in my oven for butts all the time.  It works well.

KyNola

deb415611

Quote from: KyNola on July 09, 2009, 06:32:55 PM
Mike,
I use the ET-73 in my oven for butts all the time.  It works well.

KyNola

Me too!