• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Modified Bubba Pucks

Started by Bobbert, June 29, 2009, 12:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on June 30, 2009, 02:52:10 AM
Quote from: tsquared on June 29, 2009, 07:24:43 PM
I'm lazy. I use 2 bubba pucks and the last a regular wood puck, as it doesn't go anywhere near the burner and I can reuse it.
T2

I'm with you on this one. I do the same. :) If you use a mesquite bisquette on top they will last a long time, almost as long as the Bubba pucks.

I do the same thing but the third one is a piece of walnut out of the brush pile that was the same diameter and cut to the same height.

JGW

I actually made my own this weekend.  2" copper pipe cut to 1/2" tall - smoothed and polished a bit to get rid of sharp edges.  Each weighs 34 grams.  Tested them out yesterday while smoking some ribs.  They work and it took maybe 30 minutes to make all three (plus I had the pipe/tools on hand).

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: JGW on September 07, 2009, 11:43:38 AM
I actually made my own this weekend.  2" copper pipe cut to 1/2" tall - smoothed and polished a bit to get rid of sharp edges.  Each weighs 34 grams.  Tested them out yesterday while smoking some ribs.  They work and it took maybe 30 minutes to make all three (plus I had the pipe/tools on hand).

Correct me if i am wrong but when copper gets hot it puts off a gas that is toxic?

nepas

Mr Walleye

That's a good question NePas but I can't imagine it is. There lots of copper in our daily lives like copper kettles, pots & pans and most hot and cold water lines in peoples homes.

Mike

Here's alittle more reading on it....

http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec01/ch005/ch005c.html

It seems to be something that can kill ya... but... ya can't live with out it either.  :o

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

JGW

I checked and I cannot find anything about copper off gassing, so I don't think it's any more toxic than aluminum (In this application).   

What you may be thinking about is copper toxins produced when acidic food is cooked in a pot with copper exposed (most copper pots are lined with nickel or tin to avoid this - but the copper itself is exposed to direct flame or heat).  Much like aluminum, it can seep into the food you are cooking. 

Hopefull Romantic

I use my bubba pucks with no problem.

Hey Mikecorn.1 was that you pensrock was talking about.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

classicrockgriller

aluminum leeches? why do they sell aluminum cooking pots, frying pans,stock pots,etc

Kummok

Quote from: classicrockgriller on September 07, 2009, 08:57:05 PM
aluminum leeches? why do they sell aluminum cooking pots, frying pans,stock pots,etc

Aluminum "exfoliates" and is only a concern for me when the food product comes into direct contact with the metal OR if the metal product's use in the intended environment produces or contributes to food degradation/toxin/etc.....sooooo, before this thread gets too far into the depths of "what if? :o ", I'd just offer this: When I developed what became the Bubba Puck, the use of many solid products as a spacer in the Bradley environment were considered and were all rejected, except food grade aluminum. Considerations included product life, weight, durability, food safety/sanitation, cost, packaging/shipping. The Bubba Pucks were developed to provide a safe, affordable, long lasting, easy to clean, durable, reliable, and even "green" solution to using more Bradley bisquettes than necessary. While I applaud any individual's resourcefulness, ingenuity, and stewardship in developing their own advancing puck....the Bubba Pucks were made for those that want to spend their time in other pursuits...for me that'd be catching the product to be smoked and sharing it with my "downline", aka grandkids!! ;)

Roadking

Aluminum, copper ! Why worry about it do a chemical analysis of the smoke we produce and consume. You'd be surprised. So why worry about it. I'd rather die with a smile on my face enjoying smoked food then trying to extend my life a couple years and not enjoying life.

Kummok

Hear! Hear!, I'll light up an Arturo Fuente Opus X Reserve de Chateau to that statement, RK!! ;)

classicrockgriller

OU812

Quote from: Kummok on September 08, 2009, 04:33:39 PM
Hear! Hear!, I'll light up an Arturo Fuente Opus X Reserve de Chateau to that statement, RK!! ;)

WHAT ?

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: OU812 on September 10, 2009, 08:21:36 AM

WHAT ?

Its a cigar from the Dominican Republic.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

OU812

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on September 10, 2009, 08:25:34 AM
Quote from: OU812 on September 10, 2009, 08:21:36 AM

WHAT ?

HR

O, I new that ;D

Kummok

HR
[/quote]

And not necessarily warranted to be totally free of aluminum/copper/silver/gold/stainless steel/soylent green....but a very fine smoke!  ;)