• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoking with Battery Pack & Inverter

Started by smokin_up_north, July 02, 2009, 05:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokin_up_north

Has anyone ever tried to run the Bradley off of a deep cycle battery pack and an inverter?  I was planning on taking the smoker camping with me this weekend.  I've purchased a Nautilas 33 Amp hour battery pack, and a xpower 1000W inverter.  As soon as I turn on my 4 rack digital smoker I get alarms from the inverter.

I've done my calculations and even triple checked them.  The bradley uses 5.5A @ 120V which means it uses 660 Watts.  I should have plenty of power left in the inverter for surges, etc.

I contacted the support crew at Xantrex and they said that it could be that the device doesn't like a modified sine wave, which causes it to pull more power than it should.

Any idea's out there?

Thanks!

beefmann

another problem is  that the battery is under-sized  for your application and as soon as you turn on your smoker, the inverter senses low voltage from the battery and the alarm sounds. I  would try to hook up to a car battery while it is running then turn on the smoker and see what happins.

33 amp hour is very low considering to run the bradly for 1 hour you would need min. 66 amp

660 watts / 12 volts  = close to 60 to 66 amp and then you add in the power needed to run the inverter.

hope this helps

jbollier

Sorry for your trouble, here is what I use when I take the 4 rack digital camping. I have a Honda 1000 watt gas generator that runs 10 hours on 1.5 gal gas. This thing is so quite you have to go over and put your hand on it to make sure it is running(sic). Seriously the thing is lighter than a battery pack and invertor. It will run the smoker with enough power left over to light the campsite with 2 each 175 watt florescent yard lights. smoker pulls 600 watts and lights pull 350 watts leaves 50 watts reserve. The generator is about the size of a small igloo, the kind with the handle on top that swings open and weighs about the same with ice and six pack in it. If you go this route be sure you insist on Honda because they really are too quite to be annoying.