• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Question About Spare Ribs

Started by seemore, July 02, 2009, 07:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seemore

Hi!
Mr and I have some spare ribs in the freezer that we need to find a use for.
They are not very meaty, and have a lot of fat.  We were thinking of taking the meat off the bone, and grinding it to make sausage.
What do you think?  Is there something else that could be done with this meat?
We look forward to hearing from you.

Mrs.

FLBentRider

Sounds like a lot of work for a little meat.

I would probably smoke 'em as is, perhaps trim a little fat off first.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

Well Heck Bring them bad boys up here I think I know what to do with them!!! Then I can give Scott his CD that I said I would give him.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

I agree with FBL; that's a lot of work for so little return. I would fully cook them, and if you feel it not worth eating off the bone, the meat should now be easier to pull from the bone, and you can chop or grind it. Then use it for filling in meat patties, tacos, omelettes, sandwiches etc.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

seemore

Thanks for the suggestions - except for your's 10.5!!!!
We thought we were being smart when we bought a 25 pound box of them for 99 cents a pound.  Then, we had some, and realized why it was "such" a bargain. 
Yep, we were had.
Chris, you can come on down here and get those ribs, but you have to eat hot dogs tonight - that came from Seemore - your company picnic?
We will go ahead and smoke them down, and just get the meat off the bones.  Yep - we can use that meat in other items.
And, we will never buy another box of bargain ribs again........until the next time they have a big meat sale!   ;D

Gizmo

If  you take the meat off the bone you will lose all the flavor.  Just eat 4 or 5 of them as if it were one.   :)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

seemore

Good point, Giz............seems like a lot of work for bargain-basement ribs.  Ah, live and learn, right????? :-[