Bradley Smoked Wild Alaskan Salmon

Started by Kummok, February 01, 2004, 02:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsquared

Banff springs-- try putting a piece of wood under the 2 feet of your smoke chamber on the side cpwith the generator attached. Something 3/8" thick would be plenty. I had the same problem years ago with the puck advance and tried the usual things to no avail. Finally tried the piece of wood and haven't had a problem since.
T2

banff_springs

I don't quite follow.  Put wood under the smoke chamber?  I'm game to try your suggestion.  Are you able to take a pic and post?

Orion

I believe he is suggesting propping the SG side of the cabinet up by placing thin blocks under the feet. Thus putting the SG, its chute and the burner on a slight slope. Its a good thought but not a fix I would consider. JMO.
It's going to take a lifetime to smoke all this.

banff_springs

I called Bradley and they seem to suggest (after giving them the sympton's I am exeriencing), it's the micro-switch and/or motor.  All in all, $13.00 for both pieces.  Sadly, shipping/handling is damn near twice that cost. 

banff_springs

After disassembly and successful "open-Smoke Gen" surgery, am please to say that it WAS the micro-switch that was giving me the issues.  It now works as advertised.  Will post pic's of my smoked Lake Trout using a dry brine with Alder smoke for 5 hours @ 140*F.  Family ate it right up.  Nothing left. 

banff_springs

Quote from: PAhardwoods on December 13, 2015, 08:12:33 PM
Kummok,

I'm hoping maybe you can help me out, during a trip to Alaska 6 years ago visiting friends who at the time worked for PWSAC - they sent us home with a bunch of canned smoked salmon - it was amazing!!! I'd love to be able to smoke a bunch of salmon and can it

My questions are is it better to cold smoke or hot smoke salmon that is going to be canned? Do smoking times very for canned salmon i would assume that canning the meat may intensive the smoke flavor??

Also does any liquid need to be added to jars or does the smoked fish still have enough oils and moister in it to produce liquid when smoked

Thanks for your time

Quote from: Kummok on December 05, 2015, 11:43:21 AM
ThanX for the kudo....like most good things, my recipe/process is the result of many folk's trial and error (smoked salmon errors are still edible!) Be sure to post your results!!

Would love to post the pic's however, do not see an option to attach *.jpg pic's of pre- and post smoke pic's.  Is is drag-n-drop?  I see an option to insert an image but I don't think that's what I am looking for.

Kummok

There's some other detailed threads on here for posting photos. That said, I use photobucket.com...upload your photos there and it will give you a properly formatted URL to copy/paste right into this text body. Photobucket will give you the choice for thumbnail or full size URL to copy and paste....real easy after your first successful post...

banff_springs

Thanks.  I'll see what I can do.   :) ;D

banff_springs

Quote from: banff_springs on February 23, 2016, 01:53:34 PM
After disassembly and successful "open-Smoke Gen" surgery, am please to say that it WAS the micro-switch that was giving me the issues.  It now works as advertised.  Will post pic's of my smoked Lake Trout using a dry brine with Alder smoke for 5 hours @ 140*F.  Family ate it right up.  Nothing left. 
Quote from: banff_springs on February 23, 2016, 01:58:53 PM
Quote from: PAhardwoods on December 13, 2015, 08:12:33 PM
Kummok,

I'm hoping maybe you can help me out, during a trip to Alaska 6 years ago visiting friends who at the time worked for PWSAC - they sent us home with a bunch of canned smoked salmon - it was amazing!!! I'd love to be able to smoke a bunch of salmon and can it

My questions are is it better to cold smoke or hot smoke salmon that is going to be canned? Do smoking times very for canned salmon i would assume that canning the meat may intensive the smoke flavor??

Also does any liquid need to be added to jars or does the smoked fish still have enough oils and moister in it to produce liquid when smoked

Thanks for your time

Quote from: Kummok on December 05, 2015, 11:43:21 AM
ThanX for the kudo....like most good things, my recipe/process is the result of many folk's trial and error (smoked salmon errors are still edible!) Be sure to post your results!!

Would love to post the pic's however, do not see an option to attach *.jpg pic's of pre- and post smoke pic's.  Is is drag-n-drop?  I see an option to insert an image but I don't think that's what I am looking for.

Alright, let's see if this works.  Here are a few shots of pre- and post- smoke of my Lake Trout.

Appreciate all the help.  Thank You !

Kummok

rooster85

Ok, I don't eat soy but as an alternative I use coconut aminos. Anybody here try this for Kummok's recipe? I did well on the salmon last week out in CA so I plan on smoking one this weekend. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnM70

Sometime back a neighbor returned from Alaska with a load of salmon. He asked if I could smoke some. Since I had not smoked any fish I asked him to let my try first on my own. Yesterday I purchased 1.75lbs of wild caught salmon. Today the warden and I prepared the brine (actually she prepared the brine.) using kummok's recipe. Obviously the quantity was reduced. I know the instructions said to keep in fridge for 12 hours I am wondering if 18 hours would cause any adverse effects?  I left the skin on.

Here is the start:

I cut into strips maybe not too uniform.  :-X

Into the brine

Now for a cool slumber.

More tomorrow...
Bradley 6 Rack BDS with cold smoke attachment, Maverick remote dual temp(2), Thermapen and,  Auber Dual Probe PID, 1300 Watt Mod, Weber Genesis E310

"I keep cutting it off and cutting it off and it is still too short"

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: rooster85 on July 20, 2016, 12:55:45 PM
Ok, I don't eat soy but as an alternative I use coconut aminos. Anybody here try this for Kummok's recipe? I did well on the salmon last week out in CA so I plan on smoking one this weekend. Thanks!

Never heard of coconut aminos until now. Is the flavor similar to soy?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

rooster85

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on July 23, 2016, 12:46:25 PM
Quote from: rooster85 on July 20, 2016, 12:55:45 PM

Never heard of coconut aminos until now. Is the flavor similar to soy?

It tastes similar only sweeter. I ended up using it and I really enjoy the outcome! Smoked about half a salmon.

Habanero Smoker

I may have to order some, I can't seem to find it in any local stores.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)