OxygenAndy the newbie... Here we go. First Experience w/ Elec. Smoking

Started by oxygenandy, July 05, 2009, 10:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum Andy!  Lots of great folks here and excellent information!  Good luck and keep us posted!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

oxygenandy

OK...here we go. Pre-heated and smoked Baby Backs for 5 hours...They are close to done but still not "fall off the bone".
In fact kinda tough.

Do I just cook longer, wrap in foil or what?
Anything for the connective tissue to break down would be good.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

HawkeyeSmokes

Hey Andy, I would boat them with a splash of apple juice for a while. Not sure it will work after 5 hours but I do think it will help. Try using the post from 10.5 for your ribs. It works great. Here is a link to it.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=581

Good luck and keep smoking.  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

oxygenandy

Cool ...thanks.
I think any and all posts I have seen regarding ribs, reference 10.5
I am gonna try in the next day or so.

For right now...got plenty of great looking tenderloins and a pork butt to boot...
Gotta get them et first.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: oxygenandy on July 06, 2009, 07:00:53 PM
Cool ...thanks.
I think any and all posts I have seen regarding ribs, reference 10.5
I am gonna try in the next day or so.

For right now...got plenty of great looking tenderloins and a pork butt to boot...
Gotta get them et first.

Andy,
First of all Welcome Aboard.
Second My Rib Technique may be referenced several times but they are NOT MY RIBS. I didn't make the ribs. The folks that is talking about them is the ones that made the FANTASTIC ribs. I just supplied an idea on how I do Mine! You make the ribs YOURS by doing it your way. It really isn't all that special can sum it up in one sentence. Peel off membrane, season, place in preheated smoker smoke for 3 hours, wrap in foil with splash of apple juice, heat for 2 hours spares 1 baby's, remove from foil, sauce then cook for additional hour, when meat pulls back from bone 1/4 to 1/2 inch your done, Eat and enjoy.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

What 10.5 said.

As far as ribs go "there done when there done"

oxygenandy

Thanks again!

I can't wait till weekend when I'll thaw out 2-3 more racks.
I LUV ribs!