• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Laxative Properties of Smoked Food

Started by oakville smoker, July 08, 2009, 04:59:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakville smoker

OK, this is probably a touchy subject for smoker forum but I really have no where else to ask this question.  I will try to be as delicate, polite and proper as possible.

I have noticed that after consuming food from my smoker, that the consumption of such food creates somewhat of a laxative effect. I say laxative because of the sense of urgency invloved.  This phenomena usually occurs within an hour of consumption. 

I am not sure if this sudden urgency is a by product of the smoke or the combination of spices.  I really do not use anything different in my smoker than I used in my BBQ, pre smoker with the exception of paprika in some rubs.  Whether paprika is present or not, the end result is very similar.  Does not seem to matter if its chicken, pork or beef, at least for me anyways.

Anyone else have these experiences?  I assure you this is not in jest or a joke.  Looking for some serious feedback here.
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

manxman

I think it is safe to say this is novel forum topic, never recall seeing anything along these lines before?

There is something called "faecal incontinence" that can be caused by cured, spiced,smoked or pickled foods I seem to recall. Don't know any more about it but in the first instance you could try googling it and seeing if it fits the bill?
Manxman

Caneyscud

Not a Doc, but have two Nurse Practitioners in the house.  Sounds like a form of "dumping syndrome".  I occasionally experience "it", and one of my sisters gets it frequently.  We have both had our gallbladders removed (runs in the family) and that is a consequence of the lack of a gall bladder and is caused usually by high fat content food and/or spicy food.  Those who have had operations on their stomach also have it, but for a different reason.  A funny thing about mine is right before it, I will also have a very runny nose.  Eating more fiber can help.  
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

manxman

Quote"faecal incontinence" dumping syndrome". 

Could be one and the same??
Manxman

oakville smoker

A novel topic yes, but where else do find a bunch of people who cook food in a smoker and might expereince the same issues?  You probably noticed this was not put in the recipe developement section.  LOL

I think there might be a tie in with the spice aspect.  Maybe because the spices really have time to permeate the meat prior to cooking, they affect your body differently.  That is opposed to sprinlling it on a piece of meat and throwing it on the BBQ.   I will have to do some more research.

Although I used  to be afflicted with duodenal ulcers, I have not taken a pill for that since my divorce.  funny how that happens....  Used to be 2 Zantac a day every day.   No surgeries to speak of either.

Thanks for the feedback.  I knew I would get some decent answers here.
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Up In Smoke

I have experienced the "runny nose" myself.
i have found that spice content has an undesirable effect.
if you are on a decent diet and add some "moist smoked food"
it can wreak havoc.
also there are some hot sauces that if consumed too late in the day
will effect me in the form of nightmares.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

jbollier

Try cleaning the smoker and disinfecting it. There may be a bacteria living in it that is impervious to the smoke although smoke has disinfecting qualities due to the high concentrations of nitrates and nitrites in it. Because the malady presents no stomach cramps or fever only loose stools this could be caused by a mild strain of bacteria easily removed with disinfection.

oakville smoker

Thanks for this. 
I did do a clean of the unit yesterday morning before my rib smoke.
I am having trouble bringing myself to use disinfectant in the smoker and destroying the smoke properties that are gradually being built up.

Good news is had a rib pig out last night, 6 hour cook in the Bradley and no issues.  Maybe the clean worked.  Will be interesting after I smoke a butt this coming weekend for a multitude of hours.  I will be sure the unit is good and clean before that one. 

Smoking Duck

I no longer have a gall bladder and a portion of my small intestine.  Sometimes it's the food.  I find the oils in coffee and tea have the same effect on me.  Perhaps it's the oil content in the food as well.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra