• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pork Roasts

Started by NePaSmoKer, July 09, 2009, 03:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Carolyn

When i was growing up my dad showed me how to hipnotize a chicken then lop its head off. I was laughing so hard when he showed me that but it works.

Poor chicken  ;D

nepas

Oh yeah

SO THERE

Caribou

:D :D :D
I've had a few friends tell me about hypnotizing chickens and I had one try to show me how but they couldn't get the chicken to do it.
How did your dad do it? This friend was holding the chicken over a line in our concrete driveway and making the chicken stare at it. Then rocking the chicken back and forth along the line. LOL  :D :D
It didn't work.  ::)
Carolyn

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Caribou on July 13, 2009, 07:59:15 AM
I've had a few friends tell me about hypnotizing chickens and I had one try to show me how but they couldn't get the chicken to do it.
How did your dad do it? This friend was holding the chicken over a line in our concrete driveway and making the chicken stare at it. Then rocking the chicken back and forth along the line. LOL  :D :D
It didn't work.  ::)
Carolyn

Put the chicken in the dirt make sure his neck is sticking out straight and the beak is down on the dirt. Make a line in the dirt with your finger from the beak out about 6", keep going over the line and slowly release the chicken. it will just stare at the line you made then LOP  ;D

nepas

Caribou

Oh, so it does involve a line...my friend had the right idea then.
I'll have to try that for fun.
I'm not a lopper though, I use a sharp knife and nick.
Carolyn

Tenpoint5

We had a 1x6 about a foot long with notches cut on the end to slide the feet in. Would hang 5 at a time on an old swing set. That way the meat wouldn't get bruised up when they was floppin around.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Caribou

Yeah 10.5, that's what I do, hang them upside down on the horizontal  beam at the entrance of the chicken yard.
I do three at a time, that seems to be my limit.
When I processed my first birds, I read around online and it seems that most county extension sites recommend hanging them by their feet and nicking them on the neck.
It's pretty humane, they bleed out completely and do not get bruised or dirty.
I know a lot of folks that raise meat birds pay someone else about a $1 a bird to process them and it really adds up to the cost of the meat in the end.
Now with my beef I do pay some one to do that!
But I still usually come in at under $2 a pound total so I figure it's well worth it.
Carolyn

Ka Honu

Quote from: Caribou on July 13, 2009, 12:21:17 PM... Yeah 10.5, that's what I do, hang them upside down on the horizontal  beam at the entrance of the chicken yard.

I bet that sight makes the other birds behave themselves!

Caribou

Quote from: Ka Honu on July 13, 2009, 02:44:24 PM
Quote from: Caribou on July 13, 2009, 12:21:17 PM... Yeah 10.5, that's what I do, hang them upside down on the horizontal  beam at the entrance of the chicken yard.

I bet that sight makes the other birds behave themselves!
You're right KaHonu!
The remaining roosters are always remarkably quiet the day after slaughter day!
Carolyn