about to start my first brisket...

Started by carlc, July 02, 2009, 01:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlc

My wife got me a smoker for my birthday last week.  I make sausages regularly, so it's the ideal gift.  But for my first smoke, I want to do a brisket.  I'm from Texas and I know what I want, I just want to make sure it tastes like I'm dreaming about.

So I've been studying lots of the posts re: briskets, but before I fire it up here's a few questions for any experts out there:

I have an 8.5 lb brisket, all rubbed, in the fridge, ready to go.  Guests are coming tomorrow at 5:30 pm, and we'll probably eat between 7 and 8.

I read that it's about 1 to 1.5 hours at 200F for brisket.  But I've also seen that people will smoke the brisket for only about 4-5 hours in the BS, then boat it and finish it in the oven at  about 225 for...ever. Like 10-14 hours. And then FTC till ready to eat. (i dig the lingo.)

My question is,  what's the conventional wisdom on smoking brisket the whole time vs. smoking brisket 4-5 hours and finishing it in the oven, boated.

Thanks for any and all advice. 

Celebrating the birth of our nation with some meat,
C
There are no two finer words in the English language than "encased meat".

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum carlc !

I would not apply smoke the entire time. 4-5 hours is plenty.

You can boat and finish in the oven or in the smoker. It may depend on what else you need the oven / smoker for.

Your timing sounds about right.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

FLBR has given you sound advice.  It is a long process and you don't want to rush it.

KyNola

Ka Honu

What they said.  I use an OBS and find I have better temp control by smoking in the Bradley and finishing in the oven (and then FTC, of course).  Anecdotal evidence at best, but it works well that way for me.

carlc

Good stuff.  I'm feeling confident.  Low and slow is my mantra.

expect more newbie questions soon.  I'm looking to make some sausage next week.

proper,
Carlc

carlc

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum Carlc!

I think the others have got ya covered!  Good luck and keep us posted....nothing better than a good brisket!  ;)

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Ka Honu

Quote from: westexasmoker on July 02, 2009, 04:37:21 PM....nothing better than a good brisket! 

Well, actually there is (but it's not something we normally discuss in this forum).

westexasmoker

Quote from: Ka Honu on July 02, 2009, 04:53:06 PM
Quote from: westexasmoker on July 02, 2009, 04:37:21 PM....nothing better than a good brisket! 

Well, actually there is (but it's not something we normally discuss in this forum).

I've been married for a long time......so I have no idea what your talking about!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Caneyscud

Carlc welcome to the forum.

The only caveat to the previous great advice, is that if you are used to lots of bark and burnt ends on your brisket (as I am from Texas and do enjoy lots of bark), foiling (sometimes quizzically called The Texas Crutch) during the cook is not the most conducive way to make bark.  The brisket is tasty and moist and tender, but not as much bark.  To counteract this some will unwrap and put the meat back in the smoker for the last hour or so to "crisp" up the bark.  However, to me, that is a close second to unfoiled.   Believe, me, this is in no way meant to lessen the other wonderful ways of smoking brisket - they are all great ways!  and probably easier to get a moist, tender brisket than the unfoiled way.  I just like lots of bark and burnt ends.  

Many have suggested a limited smoke time (4 to 5 hours) and that is sound advice, as the Law of Diminishing Returns takes over.  Over, say 5 hours, there is less effect of the smoke - i.e. using more pucks after five hours does not always get you much more smoke flavor.  But the rebel in me tells me different - besides, I like LOTS of smoke flavor - so I do often smoke more than 5 hours and like the outcome.  Is the extra $4 or $5 or more dollars in pucks worthwhile?  Only you can decide that. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

carlc

Thanks to all for your sage advice. I implemented the Texas Crutch method with confidence and the result was amazing.  People started to arrive when I was FTC-ing it and I had to bring out the cleaver to keep them from tearing off chunks.  It was worth the wait. It got up to about 185F.  The point just fell apart with a fork and when the flat was sliced, it looked like a Thursday lunch at Mike Anderson's BBQ near UTSW in Dallas (a little less smoke ring, though) Everyone had seconds and one pig had thirds (me).

I do agree that I miss the "bark" part of a smokehouse brisket, but since funds and ordinances limit me to the BS, I can deal. I braise pot roast in the winter and it seems like the boating part is a similar deal. Let it bathe in its own juices.  For what it's worth, I put a piece of parchment paper between the brisket and foil used to tent it.  I do that when I braise pot roast/short ribs to help the liquids continually bathe the meat. the smoke flavor was ideal, especially since you're braising it in it's own smoke juices.

I live in Chicago now and very few of my Chi-town peeps understood the beauty of a smoked brisket. They have seen the light.

Finished stuffing an andouille sausage and a roast garlic chicken/pork sausage last night and now I'm going to go fire up the BS. 

Thanks,
Carlc

lumpy

Welcome to the forum Carlc!

Sounds like your hooked.
Enjoy

Lumpy

OU812

Welcome to the fun.

Glad to here that your first brisket was a hit, now its just getting better trying to figure out what to do the next time.