35 pounds of Apricots...what was I thinking?!

Started by Caribou, July 12, 2009, 12:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caribou

I was at the veggie stand this weekend to buy apricots to can and they had a discount if you bought a box of them.
Well, I bought a box and now I have 35 pounds of Apricots.
I have a lot of different canning recipes and I know that none will go to waste but if anyone has any favorite dessert or main course recipes using fresh apricots I'd love to know about it so I can possibly expand my apricot horizon.
Thanks everyone!
Carolyn

NePaSmoKer

Apricot chipotle dip  ;D

Sorry Carolyn dont have a recipe for it but it sounds good.

nepas

Caribou

:D :D :D :D
Gee, thanks Nepas!
It does sound good.  Maybe I should make an apricot pepper jelly?
My friend makes a mean habenaro/raspberry jam and it's good.
Carolyn

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: Caribou on July 12, 2009, 03:59:23 PM
:D :D :D :D
Gee, thanks Nepas!
It does sound good.  Maybe I should make an apricot pepper jelly?
My friend makes a mean habenaro/raspberry jam and it's good.
Carolyn

Hi Caribou. That habanero/raspberry jam sounds good. And do you think other berries could be substituted? By any chance, do you have the recipe for it? I've made jalapeno jelly but it was kind of tame for my taste.

The pics of those home grown chickens sure look good. Reminds me of being on the farm.

Thanks. Dale
HawkeyeSmokes

Caribou

Hi Dale!
My friend does a standard raspberry jam recipe like you would find included in a pectin package and added finely chopped de-seeded habanero peppers before cooking the raspberries.  She would adjust how much she added to how hot she wanted it.  I'd experiment to find out how to get the heat you want.
Carolyn

La Quinta

Ya know what Caribou...apricots love pork...maybe a marinade of minced apricots...a lttle honey and garlic...and some red papper flakes..salt pepper...yada..yada...marinate for a day...slap it on the grill? What about making a chutney for a "garnish"? Just thinking out loud...

Heck...you could go Asian as well...add some soy and ginger...marinate...sounds good to me...!!! I'm in date country...big date harvests now!!! Gotta be the same (other then color) Dates are not that sweet until they are dried, candied...etc...

Caribou

Thanks LQ,
Those are great suggestions...I love pork and sweet goes so well with it.
Dates would go great, too.
You're bringing back date memories for me..ever have a date shake at Hadley's or Gloria Jean?
Carolyn

La Quinta

We're out here near the Date Farms...Hadley's is a wee bit (like 25 miles) west of us...date shakes are really great...we have the biggest date farms in the country here...I think it's a fascinating industry...just to witness these guys farm them is amazing (I happen to have a friend who has huge date farms) ...I love this kinda stuff...would love to see cheese made in real life...not TV...

We don't get to witnesses stuff like making cheese here...to damn hot....was only 112 today... ??? I envy those of you who live in temperate (Sp?) environments!!

seemore

Carolyn, do you have a dehydrator?  I love dried apricots.
That is only one possible choice for just a small portion of those apricots.
How about apricot ice cream?  Another possibility that might be good.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: La Quinta on July 12, 2009, 08:11:51 PM
We're out here near the Date Farms...Hadley's is a wee bit (like 25 miles) west of us...date shakes are really great...we have the biggest date farms in the country here...I think it's a fascinating industry...just to witness these guys farm them is amazing (I happen to have a friend who has huge date farms) ...I love this kinda stuff...would love to see cheese made in real life...not TV...

We don't get to witnesses stuff like making cheese here...to damn hot....was only 112 today... ??? I envy those of you who live in temperate (Sp?) environments!!

LQ, if ya want to see cheese being made, come visit WI. I can point you to a number of places where it is being made LIVE. After all, we do have the true Happy cows here.  ;D

And Carolyn, thanks for the tip on habanero jam. Sounds like you could use that idea on any fruit.
HawkeyeSmokes

Caribou

LQ,
I love the date groves down there...I think I got the name wrong, was it Valerie Jeans? On the shore of the Salton Sea?
Date shakes...yum!  And date sugar on your morning oat meal..yum!
I used to live in Moreno Valley ( :P ) but did a lot of dove and quail hunting in the Salton Sea area and Imperial Valley.
Seemore,
I don't have a dehydrator but I do have the ice cream making attachment for the KA mixer so apricot ice cream is a great idea.
Thanks guys!
CArolyn

sodak

Carolyn...

I put a Raspberry Chipolte dip on the recipe site that's outta this world...you could adapt that one...

Caribou

Thanks Sodak,
I shall check that out!
Carolyn

seemore

All I know is that I have a real hankerin' for some apricots now....
:)

pensrock

Quote from: sodak on July 14, 2009, 01:25:27 PM
Carolyn...

I put a Raspberry Chipolte dip on the recipe site that's outta this world...you could adapt that one...

I made that dip for a party and it was a real hit!  :)