Grilled Worms

Started by Tenpoint5, July 20, 2009, 11:37:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

Grilled Worms

One Large Red Onion
Favorite Rub of choice

Peel outer layer of Onion. Slice into 1/4" slices. Season both sides liberally with rub. Place on grill and grill indirect until onion softens and becomes translucent. Flipping once or twice. To serve, break apart the rings and place in a bowl. (Will probably do this on the grill by itself when its ready) Goes great on/with any grilled Red meat, If it makes it in the house!! Usually is served in a paper bowl grill side along with a beer for the chef at my house!!

Quote from Daughter. "Dad it looks like your eating WORMS!! EEEWWW" That's how it got changed from grilled onions to grilled worms.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

I do something similar to this. I use a tip from Cook's Illustrated. Use two small bamboo skewers that have been soaked in water for each ring, and slide them through the slices. If you space the skewers correctly they will go through most of the rings, and tighten every thing up so it will hold the remaining ones in place. If you use longer skewers you can get a few slices on, but it is more difficult to get the slices on the skewers.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

Chris

Ya think this would work on my Traeger

nepas

Ka Honu

Should work on any grill.  We use any sweet onion (red, Vidalia, Maui, or similar) in somewhat thicker slices on a wooden skewer - onion lollipops.  You may find it easier to put the skewers in a whole onion (spaced about 1/2 inch apart) and then slice the lollipops off.  You can also marinate a bit with a soy sauce marinade before grilling.

Tenpoint5

Rick Like Ka Honu said it should work on any  grill. Actually it might just be better in the Traeger since the heat source is more like an offset.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Thanks guys

going to try it soon

nepas