35 pounds of Apricots...what was I thinking?!

Started by Caribou, July 12, 2009, 12:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caribou

Yeah,
I'm going to have to try that dip for sure.
I canned a batch of apricot jam and apricot/pineapple jam so far.
But I'm excited about doing something other than canning with them.

Carolyn

smokeitall

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on July 13, 2009, 06:16:36 PM
Quote from: La Quinta on July 12, 2009, 08:11:51 PM
We're out here near the Date Farms...Hadley's is a wee bit (like 25 miles) west of us...date shakes are really great...we have the biggest date farms in the country here...I think it's a fascinating industry...just to witness these guys farm them is amazing (I happen to have a friend who has huge date farms) ...I love this kinda stuff...would love to see cheese made in real life...not TV...

We don't get to witnesses stuff like making cheese here...to damn hot....was only 112 today... ??? I envy those of you who live in temperate (Sp?) environments!!

LQ, if ya want to see cheese being made, come visit WI. I can point you to a number of places where it is being made LIVE. After all, we do have the true Happy cows here.  ;D

And Carolyn, thanks for the tip on habanero jam. Sounds like you could use that idea on any fruit.

Hey Hawkeye my favorite place for cheese in Wisconsin is Hawkeye Dairy in Abbotsford....any relation to your name  :)  They have a smoked string cheese that is to die for...and not that nasty mozzarella string cheese, I'm talking the real stuff that is nice and dry and actually stringy.....I'm only up there around twice a year but I stock up on that and of course some curds...

smokeitall

For the apricots, I have been meaning to try this.... I have a 6 quart hand crank old fashioned ice cream maker (and 5 kids to turn the handle  :) )

Apricot Ice Cream

4 cups milk
2 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 eggs, beaten
5 cups heavy cream
2 cups pureed apricots
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract (optional)

In a heavy saucepan, heat milk over low until hot but not boiling. Stir in sugar and salt until dissolved. Gradually stir a quarter of the hot mixture into eggs, mixing constantly. Return all to the saucepan, stirring constantly. Continue to cook and stir for 10-12 minutes or until mixture coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat; cool. Chill for at least 2 hours or overnight. In a large bowl, combine the cream, fruit, vanilla and almond extract if desired. Add the chilled milk mixture, stirring well. Pour into a chilled freezer can of a 1-gallon ice cream freezer. Freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.

Let me know if you give it a try.
SIA

Smokin Soon

My grandma used to make apricot preserves jam that was just fantastic. I am a big fan of dried apricots, but do not do them any much now cause the wifey says the results are far more dangerous than beans.

smokeitall

Quote from: Smokin Soon on July 14, 2009, 09:05:27 PM
My grandma used to make apricot preserves jam that was just fantastic. I am a big fan of dried apricots, but do not do them any much now cause the wifey says the results are far more dangerous than beans.

Yeah I second that....that last thread about beans was bad...a thread about apricots on that same subject would get even worse  ;D ;D ;D

Smokin Soon

Smoke, don't now why, but I just love dried apricots. Is it in the known fruits that do that? I thought it was just me.

smokeitall

dried apricots, dried mangos, etc....love em but yeah wow.

Sorry about hijacking your thread Caribou!

Caribou

Quote from: smokeitall on July 14, 2009, 09:38:37 PM
dried apricots, dried mangos, etc....love em but yeah wow.

Sorry about hijacking your thread Caribou!
Hey, it can be an apricot lovefest thread  :D
Carolyn

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: smokeitall on July 14, 2009, 08:33:45 PM
Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on July 13, 2009, 06:16:36 PM
Quote from: La Quinta on July 12, 2009, 08:11:51 PM
We're out here near the Date Farms...Hadley's is a wee bit (like 25 miles) west of us...date shakes are really great...we have the biggest date farms in the country here...I think it's a fascinating industry...just to witness these guys farm them is amazing (I happen to have a friend who has huge date farms) ...I love this kinda stuff...would love to see cheese made in real life...not TV...

We don't get to witnesses stuff like making cheese here...to damn hot....was only 112 today... ??? I envy those of you who live in temperate (Sp?) environments!!

LQ, if ya want to see cheese being made, come visit WI. I can point you to a number of places where it is being made LIVE. After all, we do have the true Happy cows here.  ;D

And Carolyn, thanks for the tip on habanero jam. Sounds like you could use that idea on any fruit.

Hey Hawkeye my favorite place for cheese in Wisconsin is Hawkeye Dairy in Abbotsford....any relation to your name  :)  They have a smoked string cheese that is to die for...and not that nasty mozzarella string cheese, I'm talking the real stuff that is nice and dry and actually stringy.....I'm only up there around twice a year but I stock up on that and of course some curds...

Hey Smoke, good to hear ya like that WI cheese. No relation to the Hawkeye Dairy. But Abbotsford is only about 90 minutes from me. So where else do you go when you visit WI? Maybe I could steer you more good places for cheese. And the curds!! Ever get them while still warm? Those are the best and I know of 2 places where to but them that way. As fresh as a cheese curd can be. Kind of like from the vat to the mouth. Yum.  :D
HawkeyeSmokes

seemore

hawkeye wow warm curds never had that been to wis alot
seemore

Smokin Soon

This thread has me thinking way too much about apricots! I'm gonna explore a couple of farmers markets and see if I can find some. Would like to experiment with some light smoke and into the dehydrator. As far as the undesirable results.... Dam ;Dn the torpedos...Full Steam Ahead!

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: seemore on July 15, 2009, 08:52:47 PM
seemore

Bet you would like them. So much better than the ones that have been refrigerated. Hard to find but I do know of a couple places. Like I said, right from the cheese vat to the customer. Nice and squeaky, and sure are tasty. A pound doesn't last long. Ellsworth and Marshfield are the 2 closest cheese factories to me that have them that way.
HawkeyeSmokes

smokeitall

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on July 15, 2009, 09:31:30 PM
Quote from: seemore on July 15, 2009, 08:52:47 PM
seemore

Bet you would like them. So much better than the ones that have been refrigerated. Hard to find but I do know of a couple places. Like I said, right from the cheese vat to the customer. Nice and squeaky, and sure are tasty. A pound doesn't last long. Ellsworth and Marshfield are the 2 closest cheese factories to me that have them that way.

I grew up down in Kenosha.  I travel back there every 1-2 months to visit family.  I go hunting with my FIL in Ashland every year, and on my drive up for hunting I stop in Kenosha to pick up my best friend so its about a 10 hour trip now, and pay for the out of state license since I moved 5 years ago to STL.  I also get up for vacation every year (but not this one) to Ashland, then over to Duluth.  Next year we have a family reunion in Ashland then we are going to Duluth for a couple of days then up to Grand Marais and up the Gunflint trail.  Love it up there. 

Let me know the names of the places in Ellsworth and Marshfield, maybe I can swing by one this November....its been a long time since I've had a nice squeaky warm fresh curd.  Thanks for the heads up.

Caribou

Smokeitall,
I'm going to try your ice cream recipe, looks good!
Thanks,
Carolyn

smokeitall

I am going to try that same recipe this weekend but I am going to substitute peaches in since I don't have a case of apricots like you...just a little jealous here.
SIA