35 pounds of Apricots...what was I thinking?!

Started by Caribou, July 12, 2009, 12:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caribou

Quote from: smokeitall on July 16, 2009, 08:31:19 AM
I am going to try that same recipe this weekend but I am going to substitute peaches in since I don't have a case of apricots like you...just a little jealous here.
SIA
OOO..I bet peaches will be just as good SIA!  I'm going to make the apricot one this weekend, too.
I'm overwhelmed with fruit right now, my raspberries and strawberries are producing like crazy, but I can freeze them.
Apricots are more work to freeze from what I have read.
Carolyn

smokeitall

Theres nothing much better than a freshly picked bowl of raspberries to munch on....Raspberries here did not do as good as the record crop we had last year in this area.  I can't wait for apple and peach picking season, its just around the corner.  Its always a good time taking the kids up to the pick your own farm and taking a hay ride out to the fields.. :)

Gizmo

Quote from: smokeitall on July 16, 2009, 05:53:31 AM
I grew up down in Kenosha.  I travel back there every 1-2 months to visit family. 

If you get back to Kenosha and like pizza go a little south and check out SILO Pizza 625 Rockland Road (RT. 176) Lake Bluff, IL 60044.  If it is still as good as it was 30 years ago, and I believe it is, you may be tasting the best pizza on the planet.

Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Caribou

Quote from: smokeitall on July 16, 2009, 02:23:45 PM
Theres nothing much better than a freshly picked bowl of raspberries to munch on....Raspberries here did not do as good as the record crop we had last year in this area.  I can't wait for apple and peach picking season, its just around the corner.  Its always a good time taking the kids up to the pick your own farm and taking a hay ride out to the fields.. :)
Smokeitall,
Have you ever had trouble with yellow jackets and other wasps eating on the raspberries.
The last two seasons we haven't had trouble but I think this year it will be.
a couple years back I had so many berries I had a friend come over and pick all she wanted and she got 6 pounds off my plants!
The next day the wasps came to the bushes and I never got a chance to pick another.
Carolyn

smokeitall

Nope haven't had much of a problem with them nasty yellow jackets.

Caribou

Quote from: smokeitall on July 14, 2009, 08:37:57 PM
For the apricots, I have been meaning to try this.... I have a 6 quart hand crank old fashioned ice cream maker (and 5 kids to turn the handle  :) )

Apricot Ice Cream

4 cups milk
2 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 eggs, beaten
5 cups heavy cream
2 cups pureed apricots
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract (optional)

In a heavy saucepan, heat milk over low until hot but not boiling. Stir in sugar and salt until dissolved. Gradually stir a quarter of the hot mixture into eggs, mixing constantly. Return all to the saucepan, stirring constantly. Continue to cook and stir for 10-12 minutes or until mixture coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat; cool. Chill for at least 2 hours or overnight. In a large bowl, combine the cream, fruit, vanilla and almond extract if desired. Add the chilled milk mixture, stirring well. Pour into a chilled freezer can of a 1-gallon ice cream freezer. Freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.

Let me know if you give it a try.
SIA

Hi SIA,
Got the ice cream chilling in the fridge so I can put in the ice cream maker this evening.
I halved the recipe because it's a large amount for just three of us.
I use the Kitchen Aid ice cream making attachment which doesn't handle more than a half gallon at a time.
I tasted the batter and it's divine!  It's going to be a tasty batch for sure.
Thanks,
Carolyn

smokeitall

I never got around to making my ice cream this weekend.  I wanted to but our Suburban wouldn't start so I had to work on that for awhile and then also change oil in two cars, mow the lawn, etc. etc.  And I am traveling to Chicago for a couple days so I will have to get to it next week.  Let me how it the finished product turns out.
SIA

Caribou

Hi SIA!
The ice cream came out great, thanks again for a great recipe!
I'm going to make another batch soon.
Thinking maybe I'll swirl some apricot jam through while it's still soft and make it apricot rippled.
Carolyn