Howdy from Texas

Started by jobee, July 15, 2009, 07:10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobee

Howdy from Austin, TX.  I just joined this board, and I am looking forward to some good ole smokin' on my Bradley Original Smoker that I bought from Cabelas.  I ordered the Hickory, Apple, Mesquite, and Special Blend Bisquettes and should get them tomorrow.  Want to start smoking pork ribs, beef brisket, and chicken.  I will be spending some time here reading the stories here to help me perfect my technique.  My first interest will be to find a good dry rub recipe for pork ribs

Will be trying out new things, and will be posting my results in the forums.

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum jobee!

Lots of good folks here, along with a ton of information!  Good luck and keep us posted!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Caribou

Welcome to the forum Jobee!
You came to the right place to get the most out of your new smoker.
Enjoy,
Carolyn

Caneyscud

Not too sure I can be of any help!  Have to get the answer to a couple of questions first.

1.  What BBQ joint do you like better?  The Salt Lick, Kreuz's, Louie Mueller's, Black's, The City Market?
2.  Do you want to Keep Austin Weird?
3.  Is your blood burnt orange or maroon?
4.  What is the "real" official song of Texas?
5.  Do you fish or frolic at Hippie Hollow?
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

mikecorn.1

Hello there fellow TEXAN. Check out this site if you havent already.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=481
Mike

mikeradio

Welcome  nothing but great information and people here.

Mike

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

SaltSpringSmoker

Quote from: Caneyscud on July 15, 2009, 10:45:35 AM
Not too sure I can be of any help!  Have to get the answer to a couple of questions first.

1.  What BBQ joint do you like better?  The Salt Lick, Kreuz's, Louie Mueller's, Black's, The City Market?

Howdy Jobee,

Welcome to the forum.  I know like me you will benefit from the knowledge and friendship of Caneyscud and the other smoking experts who post here on an almost daily basis.

Now Caney already knows my answers to his 5 obviously loaded questions.  And he most certainly does not agree with my answers, but he's remained very friendly and helpful nonetheless. 

Just so you know, the correct answers (though Caney's answer key might differ) are:

1.  What BBQ joint do you like better?

Depends on what cut you desire. 

If it's pork ribs, my vote goes to City Market, followed by Kreuz's and Louie Muellers (tie), then Salt Lick, and then Black's.  Caney of course should have included Opie's up in Spicewood, which makes excellent ribs on par with Kreuz's.

If it's Brisket, the battle is not just just for best in Texas, but for best in the World, and it's between Louie Mueller's and Kreuz's.

If it's links, then the winner is probably the jalapeno cheese links at Kreuz's (man those things are great), but the two hot link joints in Elgin deserve consideration as well.

But the truth is that all of the joints Caney has listed make very good to absolutely delicious Q.  He should have thrown a pretender like County Line into the list to see if you are really serious about your Q, which I'm sure you are since you have purchased a Bradley.

Hey, Texans and Texas are known for their hospitality.  So sure.  Gotta have Austin to keep things interesting.

Hook'em Horns Baby!  Class of '81, Chemical and Petroleum Engineering.  And Earl Campbell is the greatest football player of all time.  Ain't that right Caney?

http://www.lsjunction.com/midi/eyes_tx.mid

I fish, but that don't mean I don't like to frolic, particularly at the Blue Hole in Wimberley, my hometown.

Now let's both see how Caney scores my obviously correct answers.

SaltSpringSmoker

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Caneyscud

Quote from: SaltSpringSmoker on July 15, 2009, 01:20:37 PM
Quote from: Caneyscud on July 15, 2009, 10:45:35 AM
Not too sure I can be of any help!  Have to get the answer to a couple of questions first.

1.  What BBQ joint do you like better?  The Salt Lick, Kreuz's, Louie Mueller's, Black's, The City Market?
2.  Do you want to Keep Austin Weird?
3.  Is your blood burnt orange or maroon?
4.  What is the "real" official song of Texas?
5.  Do you fish or frolic at Hippie Hollow?

Howdy Jobee,

Welcome to the forum.  I know like me you will benefit from the knowledge and friendship of Caneyscud and the other smoking experts who post here on an almost daily basis.

Now Caney already knows my answers to his 5 obviously loaded questions.  And he most certainly does not agree with my answers, but he's remained very friendly and helpful nonetheless.  

Just so you know, the correct answers (though Caney's answer key might differ) are:

1.  What BBQ joint do you like better?

Depends on what cut you desire.  

If it's pork ribs, my vote goes to City Market, followed by Kreuz's and Louie Muellers (tie), then Salt Lick, and then Black's.  Caney of course should have included Opie's up in Spicewood, which makes excellent ribs on par with Kreuz's.

If it's Brisket, the battle is not just just for best in Texas, but for best in the World, and it's between Louie Mueller's and Kreuz's.

If it's links, then the winner is probably the jalapeno cheese links at Kreuz's (man those things are great), but the two hot link joints in Elgin deserve consideration as well.

But the truth is that all of the joints Caney has listed make very good to absolutely delicious Q.  He should have thrown a pretender like County Line into the list to see if you are really serious about your Q, which I'm sure you are since you have purchased a Bradley.

2.  Do you want to Keep Austin Weird?

Hey, Texans and Texas are known for their hospitality.  So sure.  Gotta have Austin to keep things interesting.

3.  Is your blood burnt orange or maroon?

Hook'em Horns Baby!  Class of '81, Chemical and Petroleum Engineering.  And Earl Campbell is the greatest football player of all time.  Ain't that right Caney?

4.  What is the "real" official song of Texas?

http://www.lsjunction.com/midi/eyes_tx.mid

5.  Do you fish or frolic at Hippie Hollow?

I fish, but that don't mean I don't like to frolic, particularly at the Blue Hole in Wimberley, my hometown.

Now let's both see how Caney scores my obviously correct answers.

SaltSpringSmoker
BTW, welcome Jobee - this is a great place to learn the Bradley, to have a good laugh or two, just to mine information, develop recipes, etc... so jump in and have fun.  Be sure to ask any questions you may have - lots of experience on this forum and all want newbies to be successful.  That way, you can post pics that we can drool over as we sit in our offices!

Now Pardon me while I hi-jack the thread while I correct the obviously incorrect answers given to some of the simple questions I posed in a previous post.  Heck, even in my current state of being on 2 Lortabs and a muscle relaxer, I can effortlessly discern and divine the truth from the erroneous and fallacious misinformation perpetrated by mischievous posters.  Loaded questions?  Moi'?

My scoring is 2.5 outta 5.  50%  That's high enough to graduate with an orange shaded degree - right?  at least at the orange university here in TN  ;D

1.  Absolutely can't argue anything there.  However, as I haven't had the jalapeno cheese links at Kreuz's, I will have to take SSS's word on it.  My parents brought me only the regular smoked links.  
2.  Half right - I can buy off on keeping Austin, but some things HAVE to be changed!
3.  Wrong, and on so many accounts.  Gig'em and saw them horns off.  BBQ Bevo is pretty good stuff.  Class of '78 with a BS in BC.  I knew Austin types knew about chemicals (what's that smokey haze always over downtown?), but did not know they knew anything about Oil!  If you wanted to know something about oil you shoulda come to College Station - heck the University has some oil wells on their property - hands on experience!  I will concede Mr. Campbell wasn't too bad on the field, but his choice of running mates at the time (Erxleben) could have be better.  Saw them at the local police station (Constabulary for you Brits) on more than one occasion.  Did I hear that Erxleben finally got out of jail?
4.  No comment needed
5.  Another correct answer.  Fishing would be my preferred activity!  Truth be told, anything would be better than seeing me frolic at Hippie Hollow!  A picture of a bleached whale comes to mind! ;D   Blue Hole reminds me of the Medina.  Spent countless hours in various Blue Holes on the Medina, Frio, Guadalupe and Pedernales Rivers.  Oh and don't forget about shooting the chute in New Braunfels.  

Only three things to remember or maybe five!

1. Remember the Alamo
2. Texas is a state of mind
3. Texans hold their wimmen when they dance

4. Texas Red - the ONLY chili
5. The best BBQ comes from Texas.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

westexasmoker

Is your blood burnt orange or maroon?

Ya'll both forgot about the red and black......gun's up!.....Red Raiders!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

SaltSpringSmoker

No, WTS, I believe I gave Tech the proper level of consideration.   ;)

But it's time we stopped hijacking this post.  Jobee, the good news is you got a response (though incorrect in this case) from WTS, who is the Brisket King.  In fact, I probably should have included his product in my list of the top Brisket in Texas.  WTS has a number of posts on the Forum describing his smoking methods and I can speak from experience that they work as advertised. 

SSS

Hopefull Romantic

Hi there Jobee,

the last time I was in Austin, it was the chili carnaval. There was one contestant that was preparing one hell of chili. My friends and I could not come within 50 feet of his stand. That was how hot his chili was. That was the winner that day and that what would be expected from a Texan. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.