MOINK balls

Started by squirtthecat, July 21, 2009, 10:36:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

Newbie question here...     Any tips for MOINK balls?   Cook from frozen, or thaw first?  Smoke?  Time & Temp?

Thanks!!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: squirtthecat on July 21, 2009, 10:36:26 AM
Newbie question here...     Any tips for MOINK balls?   Cook from frozen, or thaw first?  Smoke?  Time & Temp?

Thanks!!

Hey squirt welcome to the forum.

Are you going to use pre made frozen meat balls? If so cook them per instructions. Then wrap bacon around the meat ball, Smoke with 2 pucks (40 mins) at a temp of 200-225* until the bacon gets done to your liking. Place MooOink's in a heat safe pan and coat with Teriyaki sauce and bake in oven at 350* for 8 mins or place back in your 225* smoker (no smoke) for 16-20 mins. You can toss the MooOink's in the sauce to coat better. Use any kind of thick sauce you want, dont have to be teriyaki.

nepas

Hopefull Romantic

Hi there Squirt and welcome to the forum,

in addition to the wonderful instructions given by Nepas, I stumbled on the site in case you use fresh meat instead of frozen. It gives you the ingrediants in the meat' www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53155

Good luck and let us know how they turned out.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

squirtthecat

Thanks!   Yes, they are pre-cooked and frozen.  40 minutes of smoke and then 20 minutes to set it is..  Maybe sauce on 1/2 of them. (was asked by coworkers for a little of both - they usually get the leftovers)

squirtthecat

First smoke...     I did some chicken legs last night...    A little too much smoke for my taste. (smoked the entire 2 hours w/ hickory - very strong taste)

They sure did look pretty, though!    I think that hanging oven thermometer is a must.  The door temp was all over the board.. (especially when I kept peeking while trying to find 225 degrees)

Caneyscud

One other tip, don't use a thick bacon or a whole strip, both things will lengthen the cook time unnecessarily.  The thick is self explanatory, but if you don't cut the stip in half, you will likely double up on the thickness of the bacon and that will cause a longer cook time.  With the precooked meatballs, all you are doing is adding smoke flavor, cooking the bacon, and glazing with sauce.  

Oh BTW, welcome to the forum and the fun Squirt!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

squirtthecat

OU812

Also chicken takes on smoke very quick so go with a lighter wood like alder or apple. Hickory is pretty strong for poultry I use it for bacon.
I use 2 hr alder for chicken. But thats just me.

westexasmoker

Quote from: OU812 on July 21, 2009, 12:45:44 PM
Also chicken takes on smoke very quick so go with a lighter wood like alder or apple. Hickory is pretty strong for poultry I use it for bacon.
I use 2 hr alder for chicken. But thats just me.

I would have used mesquite!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

squirtthecat

Thx...   I'm waiting on all of my other wood flavors.  The smoker arrived a week before all of the accessesories!  I was able to find Hickory at a local farm store, so that's what I started with.

Also the store bought rub I used was wicked spicy.  Overpowered the meat.
... which was a shame, as the chicken was juicy perfect.    But painful to eat.

I'll mix some up from scratch from some of the great recipes I've been reading on this forum.

Ka Honu

squirtthecat

Quote from: westexasmoker on July 21, 2009, 12:46:53 PM
I would have used mesquite!  ;D

C

I just saw another post from you...  Smoked shrimp + scallops. (man they looked good)  Also done with Mesquite?   What kind of temps/time?

Tenpoint5

Welcome Aboard Squirt!!

WTS only on rare occasions admits to using woods other than Messy Wood. Of course he only uses other woods on rare occasions.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

westexasmoker

Quote from: squirtthecat on July 21, 2009, 01:15:32 PM
Quote from: westexasmoker on July 21, 2009, 12:46:53 PM
I would have used mesquite!  ;D

C

I just saw another post from you...  Smoked shrimp + scallops. (man they looked good)  Also done with Mesquite?   What kind of temps/time?

Yep everything done with mesquite!.....I'm the black sheep of the family!  ;D  Those were just a quick 40 min. smoke and an hour total @ 220.  If you don't give them a soak in lime juice and tequilla for a couple of hours prior to the smoke they'll dry out in a heartbeat!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

squirtthecat

Quote from: westexasmoker on July 21, 2009, 01:57:49 PM

Yep everything done with mesquite!.....I'm the black sheep of the family!  ;D  Those were just a quick 40 min. smoke and an hour total @ 220.  If you don't give them a soak in lime juice and tequilla for a couple of hours prior to the smoke they'll dry out in a heartbeat!

C

Wow, sounds great...  Will have to try that one out.  I grill shrimp w/ a Bacon Salt & tequila lime seasoning, but never thought about smoking them.     Thx!