to much tenderquick

Started by Smokehorn, February 11, 2005, 06:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokehorn

Has anyone ever put to much tenderquick on their tenderloin when making bacon?  I put 6oz instead of 3oz two days ago.  I think the nitrate levals may be to high, can I just cut back on curing time,should I rinse and recure?  Any Ideas?

jaeger

I would not want to waist any meat so I would rinse well and reapply tenderquick. After your curing period, rinse well again and soak in fresh water for at least 1 hour. If it is to salty you may have to use it in small amounts for flavoring as you would salt pork.

Let us know how it turns out.

Doug

St. Helens Smoker

Not sure with tenderquick, and hopefully someone with a better knowledge  base will be able to help, but I think jeager is correct in advising you to rinse everything as well as you can and start from scratch....I've used this approach with general success with brines that were to "hot", but not sure with tenderquick.  But I "guess" is that it should be relatively successful as long as you can flush enough water through the tissue to offset the cure...anyway, good luck!! And please let us know how it turns out

JJC

Only 2 things I would add:  1) you are still within the safe zone . . .in other words, using 6 oz instead of 3 won't make anyone sick (or worse), even if you didn't do anything, and 2) after washing off the Tenderquick, you might want to soak the meat for 30 min before reapplying the correct dose of Tenderquick.  

How long were you planning to cure the bacon?

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Smokehorn

Thanks.  I've washed, soaked and reapplied.  My piece is right at six pounds.  I was planning on letting it cure for 18-21 days. The mortons label states 7 dats per inch thickness.

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Smokehorn</i>
<br />Thanks.  I've washed, soaked and reapplied.  My piece is right at six pounds.  I was planning on letting it cure for 18-21 days. The mortons label states 7 dats per inch thickness.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hi SH,

Given the relatively long cure time and the wash/soak/reapply process you went through, I would suggest curing for the short end of your range (18d).  Let us know how it turns out, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised! [:)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA