Help on my first smoke

Started by parismountain, July 22, 2009, 07:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

Paris,
You should be good to go overnight.  I would not put water in the broiler pan.  Check the broiler pan before you go to bed but you should be fine.  I always finish mine in a roasting pan with a rack in the pan.

KyNola

parismountain

From what I remember of the package weight my two butts totaled 16.5 lbs.  I will drain and put a broiler pan screen on and then put the butts on top of that.  I hope 9 am sounds right.  Think I did any damage with a starting cool smoke?  I only got to 130 for about 3 hours but the butts were still cold.  I'm guessing I haven't harmed anything with a cool starting smoke. 

I'm in South Carolina btw

parismountain

Meat thermometer says 149 degrees on butts weighing a total of 16.5 lbs.  Anyone have any idea how long it takes to go the additional 41 degrees on 16.5 lbs at 200 degrees in an oven?  I need it to go about 7 more hours to avoid getting up at a crazy early hour. 

smokeitall

Don't worry its just about to stall out, thats where all the magic happens.  Go to bed it will be fine, as long as the temp is over 220

parismountain

ok will raise temp to 220.  I was at 200 in the oven.  Boy this thing sure smells smokey after 4 hours of hickory.

smokeitall

200 is probably ok also.  In the oven I leave mine at 210.

parismountain

Thanks everybody for your help.  The two butts came out great after cooking for 23 hours.  They were both great but one was more tender than the other.  I didn't keep track of which butt was above the other one in the smoker, I should have watched better what I was doing.  I wonder if the one on top was better than the one on the bottom.

KyNola

Paris,
Blame it on the pig.  Sometimes it just happens.  Sounds like a great first run for you though.

KyNola