Temp problem?

Started by watchdog56, July 26, 2009, 07:59:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

watchdog56

I have a dbs4 rack and set the temp for 220 and after a while it goes up to 230. When I adjust it down 10 degrees to 210 the temp according to my ET73 drops to 190. Adjust up another 10 degrees and it seems to climb 20-30 degrees. Why so much variance? The outside temp is 75 and very little wind. I plan on getting a PID but just have not bought one yet.

watchdog56

Also I can only adjust temp by 10 degrees. Is this normal? I wish I could adjust by 5 but it won't let me.

mikecorn.1

I have the same set up. A bds 4 with a maverick. I believe it has to do with the placement of the probe inside the smoker. you will get different readings in different spots inside the smoker. At least this is what i noticed with mine. It will also act differently when you have meat in it. Try doing the brick in the bottom to help maintain heat.  I am sure someone elso will be along with more know how than me. i was just giving you my 2 cents as to what i have encountered.
Mike

squirtthecat

Something I read on the forum here which worked good for me yesterday...

Jam the temp probe in a big ball of tinfoil. (maybe racquetball sized) That simulates it being placed in a hunk o' meat.  I put it on the rack below the meat, off to right side/back corner - away from the meat. (otherwise the drippings from the meat will throw the temps way off)

Tenpoint5

WatchDog, What you are seeing is the temp swings that the Bradley has. Leave the setting at 220. The residual heat from the element will carry you up to 230 and then when cabinet cools (210) it will cycle the element back on. It's nothing to greatly worry about unless your doing sausage
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

watchdog56

I don't know Ten, the temp was about 230 so I turned it down to 210 and temp fell to 190,then I bumped it back up to 220 and now it went from 190 to 250 on my et73.

mikecorn.1

Have you tried adjusting the vent up top to let some of the heat excape.
Mike

watchdog56

vent was wide open. Roast is out of smoker and in foil covered pan with AJ in oven now for 4 hours.

DTH

I have the same prob with my 4 rack BDS it swings 15-20 deg below and above set temp but learning to live with it for now, maybe purchase a PID in the future. I have 4 smokes in now - 2 fish (1 trout and 1 salmon), 1 pepperoni snack sticks and 1 mule deer jerky, all turned out very good maybe not steller to most of your standards but I'm improving on every smoke.

lumpy

Get used to the moodyness of the temp swings in the Bradley. Its all part of smoking in this unit.
If you want exact temps, get a PID.

Lumpy