• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Sausage Recipes

Started by Tenpoint5, July 26, 2009, 09:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

These were sent to me by a friend of mine. Thought I would share I haven't made any of them yet, But they are on the to do list. Let me know if you try any of them.

Barese-Style Sausage

Yield 4.5 lbs.

2# lean pork butt
1# lean beef chuck
1# pork back fat
4 oz cubed Pecorino Romano cheese
½ c dry red wine
¼ c chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
1 Tbl freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbl ground fennel seeds
1 Tbl finely chopped garlic
1 Tbl kosher salt
1 Tbl red pepper flakes
Medium hog casings

In a large bowl, toss together meat, fat, and cheese. Grind through a 3/8" plate. Combine ground meat mixture with wine, parsley, black pepper, fennel, garlic, salt, and red pepper. Knead mixture well.

Stuff into casings and tie into 4" links.

Keeps in the refrigerator for 2 – 3 days or in the freezer for a month or two.

Pheasant and Wild Mushroom Sausages

Yield 2 lbs.

1/3 c dried morels, porcini, or nutsake mushrooms
1# boned pheasant meat, with skin attached
¼# pork back fat
¼# pheasant fat, if available, otherwise more pork fat
2 Tbl apple brandy
1 Tbl chopped fresh herbs, such as chervil, chives, or parsley
2 tsp chopped shallots
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme, or ¼ tsp dried
1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
¼ tsp dried sage
Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
Pinch ground cloves
Lamb or small hog casings

Cover the mushrooms with hot water and soak for at least 30 minutes. Drain, reserving the soaking liquid for another use. Chop the mushrooms.

Grind the pheasant and fat through a ¼" plate. In a large bowl, knead the ground mixture with the mushrooms, apple brandy, herbs, shallots, salt, thyme, pepper, sage, nutmeg, and cloves until well blended together.
Stuff into casings and tie into 4 – 5 inch links.
Will keep in refrigerator for 3 days or 2 months in the freezer.

Chinese Pork and Shrimp Sausage

Yield 3 Lbs.

2# pork shoulder
½# shrimp, Peeled & Deveined
½# pork back fat
¼ c Chinese soy sauce
¼ c sweet sherry
¼ c finely chopped scallions
2 tsp finely chopped ginger
1 tsp minced garlic
½ tsp sambal or Tabasco
Medium hog casings (optional)

Grind the pork, shrimp, and fat through a ¼" plate into a large bowl. Add the soy sauce, sherry, scallions, ginger, garlic, and chili paste. Knead the mixture until everything is well blended together.

Stuff into medium hog casings and tie into 5" links, or leave in bulk to form patties or meatballs or use as a stuffing for pot stickers.

Tuscan Sausage

Yield: 4 Lbs.

3# pork butt
½# pork back fat
1/2c sundried tomatoes packed in olive oil
1/4c Chianti or other dry red wine
1/4c minced fresh basil
4 anchovy filets, finely chopped
2 Tbs chopped, fresh oregano
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp coarsely ground pepper
Pinch of allspice
Medium hog casings

Grind the pork meat through a 3/8" plate and the fat through a ¼ plate. In a large bowl, combine the meat and fat with the tomatoes, Chianti, basil, anchovies, oregano, salt, pepper, and allspice. Knead together until the mixture is well blended.

Stuff into casings and tie into 6" links.

Will keep 3 days in refrigerator and 2 months in freezer.

Southwest Green Chile Poultry Sausage

Yield 4 Lbs.

1 ¾# boned chicken thighs with skin or 1 3.4# ground chicken
1 ¾# boned turkey thighs with skin or 1 3.4# ground turkey
1 Anaheim chile, roasted, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 jalapeno chile, seeded and chopped
1c chopped cilantro
1/4c amber beer
2 Tbs tequila
1/3c pure New Mexico chile powder
1 ½ Tbs kosher salt
2 tsp cumin
1 ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
½ tsp cayenne pepper
Pinch ground cinnamon
Medium hog casing

If using chicken and turkey thighs, coarsely grind meat and skin through a 3/8" plate or chop coarsely in a food processor.

In a large bowl, mix the ground chicken and turkey, with chiles, cilantro, beer, tequila, chile powder, salt, cumin, pepper, cayenne, and cinnamon. Blend thoroughly by hand. Fry a small patty to check for seasoning.

Stuff sausage into casing and tie into 5" links.

Will keep 3 days in refrigerator and 2 months in freezer.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Good recipes 10.5

TY for posting them

nepas

smokeitall

You just gotta keep making my to do list longer don't ya...

Thanks for the post, they look great  :)

lumpy

These sound good 10.5

Will have to add to my "must do" list
Thanks

Lumpy

twl

http://www.sausagemaker.com/

I've used these guys for all my sausage making needs for several years. After I got the "Sausage Making and Meat Curing" book by Rytek Kutas where there are hundreds of sausage recipes I never looked pack. Rytek was a lifetime sausage maker, owned several shops, invented equipment and marketed all the stuff you need - seasonings, cures, casings natural and synthetic, equipment and info.
The book is a great read. Try their web page. Rytek is dead now, but his life work lives on.
twl
twl, Bayview, Idaho, USA

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: twl on July 28, 2009, 01:04:37 PM
http://www.sausagemaker.com/

I've used these guys for all my sausage making needs for several years. After I got the "Sausage Making and Meat Curing" book by Rytek Kutas where there are hundreds of sausage recipes I never looked pack. Rytek was a lifetime sausage maker, owned several shops, invented equipment and marketed all the stuff you need - seasonings, cures, casings natural and synthetic, equipment and info.
The book is a great read. Try their web page. Rytek is dead now, but his life work lives on.
twl

TY  twl

Most of the sausage, jerky makers on the forum have already been here, done the book.

nepas

Smokin Soon

Those all sound like winners 10.5. Thanks!

Buck36

That Chinese Pork and Shrimp Sausage looks really interesting. Next on the list!

Ka Honu

I can see it now...

Ka Honu - "Remember we decided that I would not buy a grinder and stuffer and the other accouterments and start making sausage?"

SWMBO - "Yes, and it was a wonderful decision - you've already got enough toys cluttering up the kitchen, lanai, pantry, and several closets."  

Ka Honu - "Well, maybe I should just get a small starter kit, Honey, so I can treat you to some of these awesome recipes from 10.5.  They look terrific and I know you'll like them."

SWMBO - "Isn't he the guy in the orange G-string?"

Ka Honu -  "Uhhh, yeah."

SWMBO - "And you want to let his sausage in the house?  I don't think so, you pervert!"

Ka Honu to SWMBO -  "Yes, dear."

Mr Walleye

Ka Honu

You just need to show her who is in charge... you know... say please and beg and plead!

:D  :D  :D  :D  ;D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Caneyscud

Been trying not to have to go out an buy another 3-ring binder to hold sausage recipes.  Now it looks like I will have to!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"