White wine in brine?

Started by efishingbooks, February 01, 2005, 10:11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

efishingbooks

Reading through several of the scrumptious sounding brining recipes on this site that call for a bottle of white wine. I'm wondering about preferences for wine. What have you used? What do you like and dislike? Why?

Thanks,
Dave

Sample the Free Salmon Cookbook at
www.efishingbooks.com

St. Helens Smoker

Thus far, I like using a Reisling, to me there is just a nice sweetness that travels through...the missus prefers a "late harvest" or "ice" wine, but personally I find those too sweet for my palate, but still use it on occasion to preserve "domestic tranquility"[:D]

nsxbill

The key thing, I think, as a rule of thumb, if the wine is terrible on the palate, dont' marinate with it.  If looking for a decent cooking wine, I would consider "Two Buck Chuck" from Trade Joes.  (Charles Shaw)   It is $2 a bottle most locations.  Of the "cheapies" it isn't bad for cooking..  Always best to taste before you cook with it.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.