Color of smoked salmon

Started by mutts, February 14, 2005, 10:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bsolomon

Kummock,
I did a test run using your recipe about two weekends ago.  As everyone else can attest, the product is fabulous, even using your "starter" brine recipe.  I divided my fish into three batches.  One I did plain with just the brine.  The other two got a little extra during the drying process after the pellicule had started to set up.  One variant was a thick paste made from ground black pepper, fresh lemon juice, crushed garlic, and a little sea salt.  The other batch got a paste made from ground chipotle peppers, fresh lime juice, a little EVOO, and some sea salt.

I'll tell you these variations both had some ZIIIIING!  Frankly I couldn't pick a favorite, so I'll be making all the variations again.  My freezer now contains several vacuum-packed "combo" packs, sized just right for a small party platter with some cream cheese and crackers...

Kummok

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bsolomon</i>
<br />.... One variant was a thick paste made from ground black pepper, fresh lemon juice, crushed garlic, and a little sea salt.  The other batch got a paste made from ground chipotle peppers, fresh lime juice, a little EVOO, and some sea salt.

I'll tell you these variations both had some ZIIIIING!  Frankly I couldn't pick a favorite, so I'll be making all the variations again.  My freezer now contains several vacuum-packed "combo" packs, sized just right for a small party platter with some cream cheese and crackers...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Oh Boy![:p] Oh Boy![:p] Oh Boy![:p] Looks like it's time to go catch come fresh smoking stock! I'll be giving this a try soon's I get the fish aboard....oh, wait...I've got about 50 lbs of Silvers (Coho) in the freezer just SCREAMING to be smoked [:p][:D][:D] Looks like another busy weekend...was just waitin' for the RIGHT recipe.....ThanX Barry [:)][:)]

ThanX to the "search" feature, I've refreshed my feeble mind on MW's EVOO, however, for the "thick paste"....do you smear this stuff all over each piece, dip each piece in a bowl of this paste, or?????  Anxious to give it a go [:p][:p]

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

bsolomon

Like most of my cooking, I don't measure while I'm creating, so sometimes it's difficult to give exact proportions.  I also only did a small test batch, so what I made wont go very far for a typical 40 lb. Kummok batch.  Start with this:

6 chipotle peppers, ground to powder in a little food processor or blender.  Add the juice of 2-3 limes, 1 tbsp. sea salt, 1-2 tbsp. EVOO (extra virgin olive oil).  This should end up somewhere between a thick liquid and a thin paste.  Once I had the salmon on the racks, and they had already dried for about 12 hours, I just spooned the mixture onto the top surface of the meat and let them continue dryng for another 12 hours.  The mixture should be thick enough that it will just pool on top of the fish without really running over the sides or dripping off.  For your size batches, I don't see any reason not to just increase quantities on the topping, put it into a big bowl, and try dipping the fish into the stuff.  It should stick pretty well.

The black pepper mixture would be about 1 cup of black pepper, the juice of 2-3 lemons, 1 tbsp sea salt, and 8-10 garlic cloves minced.  Just mix well - the pepper will eventually absorb a lot of the liquid, and this one will be even thicker in consistency than the other.  I'm not sure this one will "dip" too well.  But there is no reason you couldn't add more lemon and some EVOO to make it a little more liquid and stickier.

Kummok

I ain't much of a measurer either, B....that's okay when I'm making my OWN spices, sauces, etc., but it's a bear when I try to tell somebody something like how to make an 8 oz jar of halibut grilling spice!![:)]

I'll be giving this method a run when I gather the ingredients, a challenge in Homer! I'll post results...ThanX again!![:p]

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

JJC

Hi Mutts,

Welcome to the Forum!  Sorry to take so long to reply, but I was miffed at Kummock's reference to my smoked plastic fish . . . [;)]

I don't really have anything to add to the list of possibilities, but since you ran replicate batches side by side in the BS and Lil Chief, that would tend to rule out a problem with the brining process or fish.    That leaves you with something different about the way the smokers performed.  BSolomon's ideas about improper venting or too long a smoke time would be my top guesses . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Kummok

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC</i>
<br />Hi Mutts,

Welcome to the Forum!  Sorry to take so long to reply, but I was miffed at Kummock's reference to my smoked plastic fish . . . [;)]......<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Opps! [:0] Looks like I'll be owing John some WILD salmon soon....smoked by him in a Bradley though, it's got to be the BEST tasting plastic fish in the world!! (I'm trying to dig myself outta that one, John)....[;)][:D][;)]

P.S. to Mutts.....In my 54 years, I've only known one Mutts...your last name wouldn't be "Miller", per chance??

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

JJC

No need to dig (out), Kummock . . . when my neighbor orders wild steelhead or salmon from the Northwest and gives me some to smoke, the difference is pretty clear [:p]!  On the other hand, it's the difference between excellent and superb, so most of the time I have to settle for mere excellence . . . ah, well.

Of course, if it will assuage your guilt, I'll be happy to come to AK and accept your offer of wild salmon [;)]!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

mutts

It appears that Bsolomon hit it right when he refered to improper venting.
Tried with more vent opening and all is well.
A little "soot" seems to go a long way.

Kummock.... I am not a "Miller".
I got "the name" from a friend of my Dad's when I was an infant, and it kind of stuck. Caused me great trouble, cause when I started school, I actually thought my name was Mutts. Screwed up the Kindergarten teacher for sure.

Thanks to all for the helpfull responses.
Mutts

Kummok

JJC:
You're welcome at our campfire ring anytime and salmon is usually on the menu....one of our most popular meals is blackened salmon mixed with lightly sauted red/yellow/green bell peppers and green onions in an EVOO and crushed garlic sauce, served over angel hair pasta with a topping of fresh grated parmesan cheese and cubed Roma tomatoes...Mmm, Mmm Good![:p] Still waiting for the "smoked ice cream", (mentioned on another thread), to be perfected for dessert!![;)]

Mutts:
Mutts, also called Muttsy, Miller was one of my best buds growing up....kinda lost tract of him over the years and was just kinda hoping.....[:)] Glad you're aboard the forum though....everytime I see you post, I'll be reminded a a great "Original Peoples" friend...and that AIN'T a bad thing[:D][;)]

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kummok</i>
<br />JJC:
You're welcome at our campfire ring anytime and salmon is usually on the menu....one of our most popular meals is blackened salmon mixed with lightly sauted red/yellow/green bell peppers and green onions in an EVOO and crushed garlic sauce, served over angel hair pasta with a topping of fresh grated parmesan cheese and cubed Roma tomatoes...Mmm, Mmm Good![:p]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">You know, we have a Non-smoked recipe board now. Whatcha waitin' on? Post it! Mmm, Mmm Good does not do it justice![:p][:p][:p]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

JJC

Kummock, planning my trip in my dreams, my friend!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA