Amish Whoopie Pies

Started by NePaSmoKer, July 30, 2009, 01:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Doing some Lancaster County PA, Amish whoopie pies for the reunion. Now if i could only figure a way to put just a tad of Alder smoke to em  ;D

nepas

Tenpoint5

Liquid Smoke in the Batter?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

mikecorn.1

What do those consist off. Looks nice and sweet. :D
Mike

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on July 30, 2009, 02:07:21 PM
What do those consist off. Looks nice and sweet. :D

I have the recipe posted here somewhere.

nepas

smokeitall

Looks great Nepas, I showed my wife and she said she's going to make them for our guests this weekend.
SIA

NePaSmoKer

I did 3 dozen pumkin whoopie pies today. Here are a few of em.

nepas

rdevous

Got to figure out a gingerbread recipe..............with cream cheese filling.............I just made myself hungry!!!

Ray
If you can't smoke it.....you don't need it!!!

Habanero Smoker

I'm planning of making some Whoopie pies at the end of the month. In my area we have a store chain; Hannaford. They publish a free magazine with recipes. In their July/August 2008 issue they featured Whoopie Pies, with some history; since I'm going to be making them I have the article handy. They had several variations, and one of them is ginger. You can use NePas original recipe and add 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon; 1/4 tsp ground ginger; 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg; and 1/4 tsp. ground cloves to the recipe.

These recipes will make more filling then NePas, because Hannaford's recipe makes a larger batch of Whoopie Pies. Note I did scale the ingredients for the ginger whoopie pies to fit NePas' recipe.

The also had a few cream cheese fillings.

Vanilla Cream Cheese Filling
1 (8 oz) pkg. Cream cheese; soften
1/4 C unsalted butter; room temperature
1 tsp Vanilla extract
4.5 C Confectioners sugar

In large bowl, using an electric mixer at medium speed, mix cream cheese and butter; until creamy. Add vanilla and half the confectioners sugar. Mix at low speed until combined, then high until smooth. Add the rest of the confectioners sugar, mix at high until smooth. About another 3 - 4 minutes.

Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Filling:
6 oz cream cheese, soften
1/2 C creamy peanut butter
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, soften
1 tsp.Vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
4.5 C Confectioners sugar
2 Tbsp Milk

Use the same mixing directions as above by combining the first five ingredients and cream them. Add the milk when you add the second half of the confectioners sugar.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

HCT

Thanks Habs, I'll give them a go next time I have time. Looks tasty and different.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

rdevous

HS...................Thank you!  I will be making them!  Sounds delicious!

Ray
If you can't smoke it.....you don't need it!!!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: HCT on August 16, 2009, 04:50:21 AM
Thanks Habs, I'll give them a go next time I have time. Looks tasty and different.

Hi HCT & Ray;

It is quite an article, and it has several variations on the pies and fillings. If you like I may be able to scan the article in PDF format and email it to you. It may look a little odd, because of the format of the magazine is too wide for my scanner; so the finally format may be a little strange.

Because Hannaford is a New England based company, they prefer Maine's claiming rights over Pennsylvania on who invent the whoopie pie. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.

deb415611

Habs,

I was going to ask for a copy and decided to search Hannaford's website.  Is this the article you were referring to?  

https://cornucopia1.hannaford.com/home/Contents/All_About_Food/Fresh_Magazine/Archive_21/feature_3.shtml

Deb

Habanero Smoker

I'm not sure the link is not working right now; or it's a bad link.

By looking at the URL I would have to guess yes. The article name is Wonderful Whoope Pies from the July/August 2008 Issue.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

deb415611

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on August 17, 2009, 02:18:32 PM
I'm not sure the link is not working right now; or it's a bad link.

By looking at the URL I would have to guess yes. The article name is Wonderful Whoope Pies from the July/August 2008 Issue.

It is the Wonderful Whoopie Pie article.  I just fixed my link in the earlier post.