• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Question about Using 80L for Making Jerky

Started by Wild_Man, August 01, 2009, 08:20:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wild_Man

Just got my 80L dehydrator from Cabelas yesterday. I'm going to make a batch of jerky in it
today,but when I looked at the instructions that came with the 80L it says to heat the jerky to
160 degrees be you start to dehydrate it. ???

Is this a must do or not? If it is a must do what method should I use to preheat the meat?

Mr Walleye

PreHeat the Jerky!  :o

No you don't have to do that. I certainly don't, just fire it in there. I also have 20 lbs of jerky about to go in my 80L.  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

smokeitall

Mike do you smoke your jerky in the Bradley and then transfer to the 80L or do you just add liquid smoke and put in the 80L?  My next toy purchase is an 80L so I will be trying it soon.
SIA

Wild_Man

Quote from: Mr Walleye on August 01, 2009, 08:51:40 AM
PreHeat the Jerky!  :o

No you don't have to do that. I certainly don't, just fire it in there. I also have 20 lbs of jerky about to go in my 80L.  ;)

Mike

That was my reaction too :o

Thanks for the reply guys.

FLBentRider

Uh, I musta never read that part of the Manual....

I've done well over 100 lbs of jerky in my 80L.

I pre-heat the 80L, put the meat on the racks (thicker pieces toward the bottom)

and let 'er rip.

Sometimes I smoke it first, other times I get in a hurry and just dehydrate.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Mr Walleye

Quote from: smokeitall on August 01, 2009, 08:54:40 AM
Mike do you smoke your jerky in the Bradley and then transfer to the 80L or do you just add liquid smoke and put in the 80L?  My next toy purchase is an 80L so I will be trying it soon.
SIA

I'm Like FLB. I do a little of it both ways... ahhh... ok, a lot of it both ways.  ;)  :D

Don't matter how much you make... it's always gone in a heartbeat!  :D

Mike

Up In Smoke

No preheating the jerky here either,
preheat the 80L and get it dryin'
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

NePaSmoKer

I pre heat my 80L to 80* before i load jerky. The start at 140 to 150* You dont want to grease out the jerky too fast.

nepas

Wild_Man

I have never owned a dehydrator before, but I was impressed with the 80L. Was money well spent, the 15lb's of
jerky I did came out great, and still had 2&1/2 racks that were empty.  ;D   Thanks for the info everyone. I may do another 15 to 20lb's this weekend. The last batch was gone before the middle of the week. :o

Bill

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Wild_Man on August 07, 2009, 08:48:16 PM
I have never owned a dehydrator before, but I was impressed with the 80L. Was money well spent, the 15lb's of
jerky I did came out great, and still had 2&1/2 racks that were empty.  ;D   Thanks for the info everyone. I may do another 15 to 20lb's this weekend. The last batch was gone before the middle of the week. :o

Bill

I hear ya Bill, it disappears quick around here to!  ;)

I find the 80L holds about 20 lbs at a crack so I tend to make my batches that size.

Mike

FLBentRider

I must slice mine thinner.

10 to 15lb is a full load for me. Not a whole lot of open space on the racks either

I find that my 80L dries the stuff on the left of the racks faster than the right. I rotate racks F/B and T/B

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Up In Smoke

Quote from: FLBentRider on August 08, 2009, 08:47:25 AM

10 to 15lb is a full load for me. Not a whole lot of open space on the racks either

I find that my 80L dries the stuff on the left of the racks faster than the right. I rotate racks F/B and T/B
This brings a question to mind. how thick is considered standard for jerky, i have done 1/8 inch and seems too thin.
i did 1/4 inch and i like it better. also when it is cut thicker you have to gnaw on it more and you get to enjoy the flavor
a little longer. especially when making hot and spicy.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Wild_Man

I sliced mine 3/16 to 1/4 inch. I also bought Cabela's 1/3hp slicer with the 11 inch blade
when I got my 80L, it sure makes slicing a breeze. ;D

FLBentRider

Quote from: Up In Smoke on August 08, 2009, 10:32:15 AM

This brings a question to mind. how thick is considered standard for jerky, i have done 1/8 inch and seems too thin.
i did 1/4 inch and i like it better. also when it is cut thicker you have to gnaw on it more and you get to enjoy the flavor
a little longer. especially when making hot and spicy.

It's all a matter of taste.

I've done it thin enough to be considered "meat crackers" and so thick it took forever to dry.

TTYTT, I just kind of eyeball it. My slicer has enough "give" in it that the settings don't really mean a whole lot.

I'm probably between 1/4 and 1/8, probably 3/16 or 7/32...

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!