Longer Smoke.

Started by gateso, September 04, 2009, 05:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gateso

Another basic fairly newbee question. When I do a long smoke/cook ie. Pork Butt/Pulled Pork, after the intial 3/4 hour smoke do you turn off the smoke generator for the rest 8+/- hours of cooking or leave it on,when the Bradley is basically a low temp oven ?
I would appreciate your guidance.
Thanks,
Brian

Mr Walleye

Hi Brian

A lot of people leave it on as it adds a little more heat which can help with temp recovery. Having said that, some people prefer to shut them down after the smoke is complete. Certainly if you having trouble maintaining temps I would leave it on. I tend to leave mine on all the time.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

ArnieM

Hi Brian,

I'm also a newbee with the OBS but have done Butt for a number of years.  So, this is my advice, but take it with a tsp of ground cumin or so.

Naturally, it depends on the size of the cut.  I'd probably go with 2-3 hours of your favorite smoke (maybe hickory?).  Then "cook until done".  An IT of 190F or so is pretty good.  I'd try to hold the smoker temp to about 220F.  From past experience, this might take 8-16 hours total, again depending on the size/weight.  I'd guess at 1.5-1.75 hours per pound, but again, the IT is what you need to watch.  Personally, I'd brine it the night before with your favorite salt/sugar/whatever mix - keeping it cold of course.

I wish you well.  I'll be trying my own ribs for a first try on the OBS this weekend, with 12 people coming over.  Please excuse me now while I go find the beer  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Wildcat

I leave my generator on. Like Mike said, faster recovery. If you are not utilizing a PID then the generator being on will probably help stabilize the temp fluctuation.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

mikecorn.1

Same here, I leave mine on all the time to get that little extra heat in the tower.
Mike

Hopefull Romantic

I agree with all the above.

It is not much of heat (125 watts I believe) but every bit helps. Until I get my PID this next week, SG stays on.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

gateso

Thanks to all for suggestions and advice. I have just about talked myself and the Wife into a PID (birthday coming up). If that works out I think it will not be necessary to leave the SG on and also I am looking forward to trying Kummocks Salmon recipe with it.
Brian

Wildcat

I have a PID and still leave the generator on. Does not harm it one bit.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

begolf25

Quote from: Wildcat on September 05, 2009, 12:08:07 PM
I have a PID and still leave the generator on. Does not harm it one bit.

Same as Wildcat. I have a PID and leave the generator on.

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!