Seasoning question. If I follow the manual, I start everything at the same time

Started by 1wired1, August 12, 2009, 06:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1wired1

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on August 12, 2009, 07:35:53 AM
Probably wrong but to me it sounds like you didnt put enought time for the smoker timer or you didnt advance the first puck all the way to the end of the ramp (burner plate). Sure someone else will come behind me and correct me if this isnt the problem.  ;D

Are you supposed to manually advance the first bisquette? I just dropped the three plus two Bubba pucks into the tube.

FLBentRider

You don't have to, but I usually do.

It should advance one puck every 20 minutes.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

If you have the digital you have to add time on the timer to account for the bubba pucks and any empty space on the run way b4 the burner

1wired1

Quote from: OU812 on August 12, 2009, 08:41:09 AM
If you have the digital you have to add time on the timer to account for the bubba pucks and any empty space on the run way b4 the burner

I have the digital, how much time should I be adding? Thanks

KyNola

If you only have 2 bubba pucks, here is what I would do.  Put your 3 wood pucks in the tube, then the 2 bubba pucks and then 1 additional wood puck.  When you turn on the smoke generator, it should auto advance the first wood puck.  advance it twice more so the first wood puck is on the burner.  Now, set the time for 1 hour and 20 minutes.  That will burn all 3 of the wood pucks and will kick the last burnt puck into the water bowl.  If you don't put the extra puck behind the bubba pucks, your last spent puck will continue to set on the burner plate.

KyNola

OU812

I do it just like KyNola has stated but i only advance once and let the burner heat up for 20 min then the total smoke time would be 1hr 40 min and rather than an extra puck on top of the bubba pucks i put a piece of a walnut branch that is the same size of a Bradley puck

KyNola

OU812,
I preheat the generator, turn it off and immediately go through the procedure.  Your 1 hour and 40 minutes will work just as well.

Nice touch with the walnut branch! ;)
KyNola

1wired1

Thanks, I'll try it with my first smoke which hopefully will be this week  ;D

mikecorn.1

I think is the same thing i do. Pre heat with both, oven and puck burner with no pucks. When im up to temp, i reset the wood puck burner and place the wood in and advance them till the first one its on the hot plate. This way its nice and hot to start smoking the wood quicker. Hope it makes sense.
Mike

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: 1wired1 on August 12, 2009, 07:32:03 AM
Even with two bubba pucks behind the three bisquettes only two burned and the third barely got started. Any advice?

As others have said, it either takes 3 bubba pucks or 2 followed by 1 bisquette to push the last one off and avoid a partially  burned one.
HawkeyeSmokes

1wired1

I really can't wait to start smoking. It's great that all of you are here to help. I have a heard time not buying new toys to play with and I haven't been as excited by anything in a long time as I am about this smoker.

Plus I need to prove my wife wrong. She doesn't think I'll use it.

HawkeyeSmokes

She will believe once you start smoking some great food. Ask for help here and a lot of people will answer.
HawkeyeSmokes