• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

first pork shoulder

Started by goblism, August 21, 2009, 09:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goblism

well i am going to try my first pork shoulder this weekend, planning on eating it for lunch on sunday.

It is a 7lb pork shoulder with bone in, used the rub from smoke and spice book, the mr. brown rub.

Going to try out my pid as well, played with it a little bit today and it seems to be working great, just need to get it going on the smoker.

Plan on smoking it for 3-4 hours with hickory and maybe some maple in there.

Also going to set the pid at 230, think that should be a good temperature, going to leave it in the bradley until it hits the 190 mark. 

How long do you think it will take to cook this shoulder?  Trying to get an idea on when i should throw it in the smoker.  I am thinking if i throw it in around 10pm saturday night i should be pretty good, i will probably check it around 2-3am just to make sure the pid is working correctly and to turn off the puck advancer.

Also have 22 atbs i made up tonight, going to throw them on as well.

Also what do you suggest doing for the tenting on it?  I picked up some lasagna pans tonight that i plan to tent the shoulder in

Thanks again!

goblism

forgot to ask, but what is a good sauce to go with this?  i know the recipe site has some, but what is some of your favorites

FLBentRider

It should take 12-14 hours.

I like the Vaunted Vinegar sauce on the recipe site.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

mikecorn.1

Sounds good, i made some abts lat week. Stuffed them with owen's country sausage, cream cheese, cheddar and mozzerela. Wrapped with bacon.
Mike

deb415611

Quote from: goblism on August 21, 2009, 09:36:17 PM
well i am going to try my first pork shoulder this weekend, planning on eating it for lunch on sunday.

How long do you think it will take to cook this shoulder?  Trying to get an idea on when i should throw it in the smoker.  I am thinking if i throw it in around 10pm saturday night i should be pretty good, i will probably check it around 2-3am just to make sure the pid is working correctly and to turn off the puck advancer.

Thanks again!

When you check the pid also make sure to empty the bowl with the spent pucks and refill with water

Caneyscud

What FLBR and Deb said is spot on - the 230 deg temp is perfect!  Vent open!  Smoke away!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

HawkeyeSmokes

For pulled pork I like the sauce posted by Mr Walleye. Here's a link to it.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=8363.0
HawkeyeSmokes

Ka Honu

I haven't found a sauce yet that beats nepas' Carolina Mustard Sauce (although I use just a bit less sugar) and it keeps for a couple of months if you make enough to have any left over.

goblism

Here is the shoulder before i put it in the smoker, going to let the pid get up to 230 or so before i program the pid, want fairly accurate numbers before it actually starts going.

Threw in a couple of ABTs while it was preheating, going to pull them after another hour or so.

hopefully it takes less than 14-15 hours, that is pretty much my latest serving time i want to be at

would love for it to take 11-12 hours, giving me 2 hours to ftc

Put it in about 40 minutes ago, and my et-7 says it is 225 degrees inside

decided to use a friends bradley because of something i need to do with mine...his heats great!

goblism

When i picked up the shoulder it pretty much fell apart, made it extremely easy to get the bone out.

Cooked it until an IT of 195 and than FTC for about 1-2 hours

Here are the ABTs

squirtthecat

Looks great!  Did you wrap it in foil after the initial smoke, or later?

goblism

after the initial smoke i wrapped it in foil...man was there some juices in that foil!

squirtthecat

I bet...    I just put a drip pan under mine, leaving the butt fully exposed.   Hey, no sniggering in the back!!

But I'm going to do that next time.  Maybe just put the butt in a foil pan w/ foil cover, so I can use the pan at the end to catch all of the mess when I pull it.   I end up using a pan for FTC, and trashing another pan with the drippings.   Might as well consolidate.

mikecorn.1

Good looking grub there G. Love that pork and abt's  :P
Mike

Caribou

It all looks delish Goblism!
Thanks for sharing some pics with us....we LOVE pics!
Carolyn