advice

Started by muntjac, August 25, 2009, 12:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muntjac

can anyone offer advice to a newcomer on what to smoke first and how? thanks (silly questio i know but if you don't ask??????) :-\

mikecorn.1

So many things, so little time. I started wit bb ribs. came out great using 10.5 method. A fool proof one would be in my opinion, a pork butt. 4 hours smoke at 225 then finish in house oven or bradley covered with a splash of apple juice till IT of @ 190*. Some other take it to different IT's. If you click on the link below, it will take you to the recipe site. By the way, welcome to the forum.
Mike

squirtthecat

My first smoke was rubbed chicken drumsticks.  I wanted something I could start after work and finish at a reasonable hour.

You can also do a store bought ham as well.  Just get a cheap bone-in (water added) ham and smoke to an IT of 140.   It adds an amazing flavor. 

Those are good to practice with, and you aren't out a lot of $$ while you figure out the sometimes finicky temperature controls.

Best advice would be to get a wired temperature probe. (best bet is the Maverick ET-73 dual temp probe)  You don't want to open the door if you don't have to..   Oh, and keep the vent at least 1/2 way open at all times.

Have fun with it!

KyNola

Welcome Muntjac!

Mike has sent you in the right direction by sending you to the recipe site.  Pork butts are pretty easy to do, just time consuming.  For something quicker for your first run, look at the rolled chicken breasts on the recipe site.  Pretty simple, doesn't take all that long and oh so good.

Don't be afraid to ask even the simplest question as we have all asked them before.  We have one rule and that is "the only stupid question is the one you are afraid to ask" so have fun and let us know how you're doing!

KyNola

OU812

Welcome to the fun Muntjac

Quote from: KyNola on August 25, 2009, 01:24:28 PM
Don't be afriad to ask even the simplest question as we have all asked them before.  We have one rule and that is "the only stupid is question is the one you are afraid to ask" so have fun and let us know how  you're doing!
KyNola

KyNola, thats what i was going to say   :D

Boneless skinless chicken breast wrapped in bacon, its quick, easy and no
pre-seasoning and only takes about 2 hr to cook at 250 F.

Just make sure you pull it out of the smoker when the internal temp hits 160 F and always keep the vent wide open when cooking poultry

Caneyscud

Welcome Muntjac!!!!

OU and KyNola got it nailed for you and Squirt has ya some alternatives.  The chicken is fast, easy, and tasty. If you want something more like barbecue without the hours and/or overnight then do the babybacks - usually about 4 hours at 225.  If you want real bbq then the butt - will be 12 hours or more on a sizable butt.  Whatever, don't chew off so much that it makes you nervous - this is supposed to be fun.  All the above are in the "easy" category - only difference is time and how many "refreshments" that can be consumed during the smoke!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

mikecorn.1

Quote from: OU812 on August 25, 2009, 01:39:22 PM
Welcome to the fun Muntjac

Quote from: KyNola on August 25, 2009, 01:24:28 PM
Don't be afriad to ask even the simplest question as we have all asked them before.  We have one rule and that is "the only stupid is question is the one you are afraid to ask" so have fun and let us know how  you're doing!
KyNola

KyNola, thats what i was going to say   :D

Boneless skinless chicken breast wrapped in bacon, its quick, easy and no
pre-seasoning and only takes about 2 hr to cook at 250 F.

Just make sure you pull it out of the smoker when the internal temp hits 160 F and always keep the vent wide open when cooking poultry

Here you go, this will give you a visual. My wife loves these. Boneless, wrapped with bacon, somtimes I inject them with with creole butter or whatever else you like. Cook to IT of 160* just like previously stated. Good luck and have fun. Post pics.

Here are some yard bird legs wrapped with bacon.
Mike

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum muntjac!

First Smoke ?

If you are not the patient type, I would smoke a whole chicken.

If you are, a Pork butt (boston butt, pork shoulder)
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

joerom

You have got to try babybacks with the 10.5 method,you will be hooked.

I was not hungry until I saw the bacon wrapped chicken.YUMM.

Joe.

HawkeyeSmokes

Every one has given a lot of good ideas. For chicken, I would do the bacon wrapped boneless chicken breasts and brine them first which helps retain moisture. The ribs using 10.5 tutorial is very good. http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=332
And if you don't mind the extra time, a pork butt is real easy as that piece of meat is pretty forgiving. Have fun, ask lot's of questions and let us know how it goes.
HawkeyeSmokes

muntjac

Thanks for the advice. All I have to do now is have a go.

drano

Welcome muntjac!

Lots of great advice above.  Keep it simple to get first time success, then get into bigger smokes.
If you want to try a pork butt, get a smaller one and you can do it in 10-12 hours.
I do 2.75-3.5 lb butts. 
Smoker at 230 deg, meat on at ~7:00, meat hits 185-190 deg at about 4-5 PM, then foil/towel/cooler (FTC) it until time to eat.
If you want really simple, get about 12 chicken wings, sprinkle them w/ any good rub, smoke at 220 deg, and they'll hit 175 deg in about 2 hours. 
good luck, and keep us posted on your results

get smokin
drano