10.5 Ribs

Started by BigJohnT, August 29, 2009, 12:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigJohnT

Well this is my first ribs in the smoker. Going with the 10 point 5 recipe.

Lightly sprinkled with garlic powder then a good coat of Strawberries Rub. Overnight in the fridge.
The ribs were a bit longer than the trays.

Ready to go in the smoker.

The Automagic Smoker Controller is working nice now.

John

Hopefull Romantic

Big John,

the after pics are demanded. Please

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

mikecorn.1

Oh yeah. Ribzzzzz. Nice set right of the bat. Biggens.  ;D  Let see more pics. If you didnt read the bottom of 10.5's guide to ribs, in really, really, really, small print, its says; You have to post pics of your ribs or you cant use this guide.  ;D
Mike

BigJohnT

Well I got up from my nap and the ribs have been at 225°F for 1 1/2 hours now with hickory smoke. Halfway through the smoke part of the recipe.

I had to take a peek.

John

mikecorn.1

Hey BJT, how's that thing-a -majigee you made working out for ya. Is it hooked up now to the smoker.
Mike

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: BigJohnT on August 29, 2009, 01:36:46 PM
Well I got up from my nap and the ribs have been at 225°F for 1 1/2 hours now with hickory smoke. Halfway through the smoke part of the recipe.

I had to take a peek.

John

I hear  sirens, must be the Peek Police on the way to Big John's place. Hope he has extra ribs for them!  :D
Looking good there John.
HawkeyeSmokes

BigJohnT

Hey mikecorn dot 1 it is working great. I don't think I would have taken a nap without it  8)
It is almost done. I'm only lacking a couple of SSR relays and some short IEC 320 to Nema 5-15 cords (short computer power cords). Today I'm only controlling the tower heat with it and watching the timer.

The screen I'm using today. And the rubber band holds the touch screen in till my clips arrive.

On the back side I can plug in the bottom row the smoke generator, tower heat, tower fan, and the blender.
On the top row I plug in the internal temperature probe and the tower temperature probe.

John

mikecorn.1

NICE. I see you have a spot on the screen for the fan that you made. How bout that idear I had about remotely pre-heating that bad boy up from from the internet. You think you'll ever go to that extreme.  :D
Again, really nice piece of work you got there. Keep on with them pics. Headed home from work. 50 miles to go.  :'(
Mike

FLBentRider

BigJohn,

I would not wrap that rack with foil like that.

It can block the flow of smoke and cause heat build up.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

BigJohnT

Hmmm, doesn't seem to be any lack of smoke above the lower tray and we all know aluminum is the fastest heat conductor next to copper or gold and if you look close you will see that there is about 18 square inches of open space along the two sides and the front and that is about three times as much square inches as the vent when wide open.  ;)

Time to put the ribs in the foil...

John

BigJohnT

Mmmmm, the hickory smoke is just rolling out of the smoker... Vent is 11/16's open.

John

BigJohnT

Out of the smoke and heading for a rendezvous with the apple juice. My wife kept cutting off little bits and eating them.

John

drano

John,
Looks great! 
Ribs are always a hit at our house.  Gotta do some next weekend to clear out them out of the freezer!

get smokin
drano

BigJohnT

Out of the foil and slathered with some Famous Dave's Rich and Sassy BBQ sauce SIA brought down a few weeks ago.

I can't stop my wife from cutting off little bits each time I take them out...

John

Mr Walleye

mmmmmm....  :P  :P  :P

Looks fantastic John. I see the meat pulled back nicely!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes