Schnuck's has pork butt for 89 cents a pound...

Started by squirtthecat, September 01, 2009, 08:34:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

However, they are 'sliced for steaks'.    Can I can still do pulled pork with these?   Same low & slow cook times/temps? (finish covered in pan, etc.)

They also have flat cut briskets (packer trimmed in bag) for 3.49 a pound.  And baby back ribs for 3.69 a pound.

Ka Honu

Quote from: squirtthecat on September 01, 2009, 08:34:30 AMHowever, they are 'sliced for steaks'.    Can I can still do pulled pork with these? 

Never tried it but I'd sure be making a bunch of Tasso.

Mr Walleye

Quote from: squirtthecat on September 01, 2009, 08:34:30 AM

However, they are 'sliced for steaks'.    Can I can still do pulled pork with these?   

I've never done it before either but I have thought about. I absolutely love the bark and I can't help but think this would produce a really nice sandwich meat, even sliced. If you give it a shot let us know how it turns out.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

FLBentRider

The one time I did these I did not like the outcome, or at least it was not what I wanted.

IMHO, the sliced pork butt has too much surface to mass ratio to get to pulled pork.

I would probably tie the slices back up into a butt and do it that way, or make tasso.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

That's my thinking as well...   Too much surface area for the slow cook.  What is 'tasso'?  I'll do some Googling..

KyNola

I'm with the Sea Turtle on this one.  That has tasso written all over it!  Tasso is a highly seasoned meat used for seasoning in a lot of cajun dishes.  There are recipes for it on the forum.  Do a search!

KyNola

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

Thanks guys!  I just found that right before lunch..   Looks interesting.

However, the MIL requested pulled pork, (she can't eat spicy food), so I'll pull my reserve butt out of the freezer tomorrow night.