The Ultimate Cheesecake

Started by TC3, September 04, 2009, 10:43:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TC3

This is  NOT a traditional New York style dense cheesecake - It was adapted from a recipe from the now defunct Russion Tea Room and is best described as a "Cheesecake Souffle." One of my employees brought this to a recent company picnic and everyone (including myself) was completely blown away. It is a PITA to make, but trust me, it's a perfect ending to a "well smoked" meal and EVERYONE will rave.

Yield: Makes 10 servings
Active Time: 30 min
Total Time: 12 hr

2 1/2 (8-oz) packages cream cheese (1 1/4 lb), softened
1 1/4 sticks (1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened, plus additional for pan
1 1/2 cups sugar (you can cut this back to 1 cup for a less-sweet result)
8 large eggs, separated
2 teaspoons finely grated fresh lemon zest
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon orange-flower water (smells like perfume - good luck finding this locally - I resorted to eBay for this and the 10" spingform pan)
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 cup cornstarch

Special equipment: parchment paper cut into a 10-inch round and a 32- by 5-inch strip; a 10-inch (26-cm) springform pan

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Butter bottom and side of springform pan. Line bottom with round of parchment and butter round. Butter 1 side of parchment strip and fit unbuttered side of strip against buttered side of pan. (Strip will extend 2 inches above rim of pan.)

Beat together cream cheese, butter, 3/4 cup sugar, egg yolks, zest, juice, vanilla, orange-flower water, and almond extract in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes in a standing mixer or 3 minutes with a handheld. Add cornstarch and mix at low speed until just combined.

Beat egg whites in another large bowl with cleaned beaters at medium speed until whites just hold soft peaks. Add remaining 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating, then increase speed to high and continue beating until meringue holds stiff, glossy peaks, about 2 minutes in standing mixer or 3 minutes with handheld.

Fold one fourth of whites into cream cheese mixture to lighten, then fold in remaining whites gently but thoroughly.

Line outside of springform pan with foil (covering bottom and about 1 inch up side) to waterproof. Pour batter into pan and gently smooth top. Bake in a hot water bath in middle of oven until top is golden but cake trembles slightly when pan is shaken gently, 55 to 65 minutes. (Cheesecake will rise in oven, but then will fall slightly and set as it cools.) Transfer springform pan to a rack to cool completely, then chill, loosely covered, at least 8 hours.

• Cheesecake can be chilled, covered, up to 3 days.
• Cut cake with dental floss or a long, thin sharp knife dipped into a tall glass of hot water.

Caribou

TC3,
thanks for sharing this recipe!
And welcome to the forum, too.
Took me awhile to figure out what PITA meant :D :D :D
Carolyn

mikecorn.1

Welcome to the forum. I finally got it. PITA.    good one.  ;D
Mike

Hopefull Romantic

Welcome to the Bradley Family TC3.

I have never tried a cheese cake recipe like this but will give it a try. My Wife is addicted to cheese cake.

It took me a while too to know what PITA means . Had to use The Urban Dictionary for that.

Where I am Orange blossom water is in abundance and is used widely. Some people even add a few drops to the water coolers to give it a flavor and it works great if you overstuff yourself with food. Great for indigestion and Gas.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

HCT

I usually use Juniors or Barefoot Contessas, this looks very airy. I'll give it a try without the water.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

La Quinta

ok...those who didn't know what PITA was....need to text message someone.... ??? It's 2009 kids...come on...you can do it... ;D

The cake looks really delicious TC3...thank you  :)

deb415611

Quote from: La Quinta link=topic= 11418.msg125629#msg125629 date=1252218794
ok...those who didn't know what PITA was....need to text message someone.... ??? It's 2009 kids...come on...you can do it... ;D

LOL,  ditto on both

LQ - my son leaves for college today and one of the things he had on his list of things to do to get ready was to teach his father how to text :D   

classicrockgriller

wish I hadn't know what PITA was....my wife calls me pita...I though she was saying what a good guys i was. now I know...geez

La Quinta

I can only imagine that's what she thought....ah...nah...just kiddin  ???  :D

Caribou

Quote from: deb415611 on September 06, 2009, 04:05:49 AM
Quote from: La Quinta link=topic= 11418.msg125629#msg125629 date=1252218794

LOL,  ditto on both

LQ - my son leaves for college today and one of the things he had on his list of things to do to get ready was to teach his father how to text :D   
Oh, so it's texting!   :D
Now I am feeling old :P
Carolyn