Molasses Pork Roast

Started by smokinrookieswife, February 20, 2005, 02:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokinrookieswife

This is a good one! I have had many requests for this since the first time I made it. Hope yall like it!

Ingredients:
3 to 4 lb boston butt pork roast (I prefer bone in)
1 jar of Molasses, I prefer "Grandma's Molasses"
1 jar of Applesauce, small one use the whole thing, big one use half
One tsp or two of garlic  
2 tspns of ginger
2 or 3 tspns of cinnimon

Preheat oven to 325... Put pork roast fat side up in a large baking dish or roasting pan.  Cut slits in the top of the roast, this will make the juices flow better and the sauce get into the roast once you add it.
Cook roast for about three hours. While your roast is cooking make the sauce. Add the jar of molasses, one small jar of applesauce, or half a big jar, and the spices...now these are to taste, so you can play with the measurements to suit you. Stir and then put in a cooking pot and let simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let sit.
Now when you are in the last hour of your cooking time on the roast start basting the roast with the sauce, making sure that it gets into the slits you cut in the roast.
Baste a few times during the last hour of cooking time. Do not cover the roast! You may have sauce left over, you may not, just depends on how much you baste it. If you do, it is great for dipping.
This roast turns out so juicy and good. It is great served with baked beans and potato salad.
Anyway, I have been making it so long that the measurments are off I know, but it is kinda like a dash of this and a dash of that to me!
It is very hard to mess up this recipe, but just do it to taste, take my word, if you love pork , you will love this...[:D][:D][:D]

smokem' from behind!

nsxbill

My guess is that we could smoke the roast in the Bradley, and during the last couple of hours, baste with the sauce you describe??  Since I have the BS..might as well use it to impart the flavor.  I would probably smoke, baste at 4 hours again at 8 hours and then 11, 12, 13 and 14.  When reaching temp of 190 pull and baste again, and wrap it up for the cooler for a couple of hours.  The sauce would be great on the side for dipping.  A fanactic about fresh ingredients, I think I would use fresh garlic and grind up my own cinnamon.  Even though there is just the little woman and myself, I would probably go for about a 12lb roast...I like to shred then vacuum pack later for sandwiches and snacks....maybe even some ABT's.  Good recipe.  Post it up on the alternate site if you can.

http://www.susanminor.org/index2.html

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

smokinrookieswife

bill, that sounds great!! I have never done it that way, but since we have a Bradley now, we could do that as well. And yes, fresh ingredients are the best!!
Also, like I said before the sauce is great for dipping, my kids love it!   Just remember, the spices are to taste, so tweaking things to your own likin' is the key!!!  [;)][;)][;)]

smokem' from behind!