Finished my first smoke

Started by Bucky, September 07, 2009, 11:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

You are hooked, join the rest of us. great looking pork butt. You got a pic after you pulled it?

Caribou

What an awesome first smoke Bucky!
Looking forward to more :)
Carolyn

ArnieM

Great looking butt Bucky.  The regular old spare ribs last weekend took me about 7 hours and were just starting to pull back from the bone.  I took them out because they were getting pretty dark.  I'm sure overall time also depends on the type of ribs.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Caneyscud

Great first smoke there Bucky - congrats!  And this stuff is addicting.  One hint on the butt, kick the cabinet temp up a notch, 225-230 and it won't take 21 hours next time but still plenty slow enough. 

On the ribs - you'll get them dialed in, but a couple of things.  Baby backs don't always pull back much, so use the twist test also.  Baby backs by virtue of their location (just under the loin) are usually mjch more tender naturally than spareribs.  So don't usually need as much cook time as spareribs.  If I'm maintaining my cooking temperature (225 to 230) they are usually done in 4 hours or less.  Did some in my Bandera at 225 2 weekends ago, and they finished in 3 hours, and did some in my Traeger 3 weeks ago using the 2-1-1 method and they were done after just 2-1!  I prefer mine tender but with a little bite, so they were not "fall apart".  Did you put them in the same time as the butt.  If so, then they were probably subjected to lower temps at first and may be why they were not fall apart.  Baby back are also called loin ribs and are included in a crown roast or standing rib roast.  And most of those have much more meat on them (the loin is still attached) and are usually cooked for 2 to 3 hours at 325 in the oven. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Bucky

Thanks for the tips.  After viewing many pixs on the forum, I noticed the B.B. Ribs don't always pull back.  Makes sense now.  I did the butt separate from the ribs.  I kept the temp on the butt really really low because the party got pushed later by 2 hours.  I didn't want to take a chance of having it cook too fast.  Even with a FTC time of 5 to 6 hours, it would have been pushing it close.  Brining my 10 lb pork belly for bacon this weekend.  Should be ready for the smoke in 7 to 9 days.  MMmmmm.
"If you drink - don't drive.... Don't even putt"
Dean Martin 1917-1995

smokeitall

Oh that reminds me, I'm out of bacon  :(  I am going right now to get two pork bellies out of deep freeze.  Man I don't know what I'm going to do for1 week without any homemade bacon.  I guess I shouldn't have done 45 ABT's this week  :)

Nice Butt by the way Bucky.  I got one in the fridge resting right now to go into the smoker tomorrow.

muzzletim

Your Butt looks terrific!  (That doesn't sound right - lol)
Tim

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: muzzletim on September 11, 2009, 09:38:57 AM
Your Butt looks terrific!  (That doesn't sound right - lol)

It sure doesn't and in some states It might be illegal and sue-able.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Bucky

You guys are funny.  I live in San Francisco.  So, I'm accustomed to hearing guys talking about other guys' butts.  Ha ha ha.  My wife finds it very entertaining that I've found some new friends on this forum.  I told her if she keeps making fun of me... I will not let her indulge in the fruits of my labor.  She quickly piped down while scarfing down the left over pulled pork. 
"If you drink - don't drive.... Don't even putt"
Dean Martin 1917-1995

Caneyscud

Way to go Bucky - gotta keep those females where they belong!    ;D

Me worry?
Not anymore!
Just finished my tea-bag bomb shelter!
Is there any fallout from a tea-bag attack?
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

ArnieM

What's a T-BBS?  I'm learnin' I'm learnin'.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

KyNola

A female member of the forum, La Quinta, has a tendency to start flinging teabags at the male members of the forum if she thinks what was posted might be considered derogatory toward the female population of the universe.

Frankly, she's about half crazy but we tolerate her. ;) (Just teasing LQ)

LOOK OUT! INCOMING!!

KyNola