Brisket for my birthday

Started by OU812, September 08, 2009, 04:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

I wanted brisket for the party so I seasoned one up and put in the smoker Fri. night with 4 hr Oak and a cabnet temp of 230 F with friends showing up I didnt get it in the smoker till around midnight and fell asleep in my chair next to the Bradley when i woke up i misted it with some peach apple juice,foiled the brisket and stumbled to my bed.
Here it is all seasoned up, all i use is seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper. Yes I like to separate the point from the flat been doing it that way for over 20 years now and it always turns out great, had some pepole suggest that i leave more fat on it, tryed it and went back to the just barley any fat on it turns out moist for me. Just shows there are allot of different ways of doing things. First the flat.

Next the point.

Heres the flat ready for dinner

Dinner time the gravy was made out of the drippings with only some potato water and some corn starch to thicken it up a little, yes thats the natural collar of it with nothing else added

HawkeyeSmokes

Looks great OU812. Making gravy using potato water reminds me of how my mom made it. Sounds great!  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

FLBentRider

Bummer you had to cook on your birthday.

It looks great!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: FLBentRider on September 08, 2009, 04:59:45 PM
Bummer you had to cook on your birthday.

The Ultimate sacrifice. Love your gravy recipe. I would have never thought of using potato water but will from now on.

Happy bday.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

pensrock

One question..... where is the potato water in those little packets the potatoes come in.  ;) ;D

ArnieM

Happy Birthday OU812!  Mine was the 4th.

Which do you prefer (or both), the point or the flat?  I read all through the brisket throw down.  Coincidentally, my local grocery has brisket on sale this week, half or whole, for $1.99 so I intend to do some up this weekend.  I understand the flat is leaner than the point.  Is the point better for slow cooking?
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

pensrock

Wow, I wish I could find brisket for that price, cheapest I can find is $5.00/lb. Needless to say, I have not had brisket in about a year. $1.99/lb I would be buying two or three. And Happy Belated Birthday to the both of you.
pens

ArnieM

Hi Pens,

One store has USDA Choice for 1.99 or Angus for 3.99.  Another store has "first cut" for 2.99.  I believe the first cut is the flat.  That's why I'm asking my "which is better" question.
-- Arnie

FLBentRider

I did an Angus a while back that was out of this world.

I bought that one from a butcher, that was all they carried. The price was similar.

The ones from Sams club I use to make Pastrami.

I'm going to have to try that "bend test"
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

ArnieM

I guess I'm just going to have a look (and a bend).  Gee, pastrami.  I never even thought of attempting that.  Out Maine Coon cat LOVES pastrami.  OK, the wheels are turning.
-- Arnie

ArnieM

I still haven't gotten an answer as to what's better for smoking/slow cooking brisket - flat or tip cuts or both  ??? I wish the new brisket champs, WTS or JGW would chime in here.  Thanks.
-- Arnie

Caribou

That's a good question Arnie that I don't know the answer to either :)
Someone will surely know.
OU812,
What a delish birthday dinner!
Makes me want to smoke a brisket....soon! :D :D
Carolyn

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: ArnieM on September 09, 2009, 03:28:10 PM
I still haven't gotten an answer as to what's better for smoking/slow cooking brisket - flat or tip cuts or both  ??? I wish the new brisket champs, WTS or JGW would chime in here.  Thanks.

Not an expert on this Arnie, but the first brisket I smoked was a 5 1/2 flat that came out excellent. Have only done whole packers since.
HawkeyeSmokes

westexasmoker

I'm a whole packer guy  also....really its just a matter of preference, they are both equal as far as smoking/cooking...The flat is better for slicing, I like the point for chopped beef as its not quite as lean as the flat!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

JGW

I'm also a whole packer guy, but I'll take a good flat when it's all I can get.  You can smoke either with equally great results.  If you can't find a packer, get a flat.

If you cooked it and like it, that's all that really matters. 

WTS - I like to chop up the point as well and throw it into pintos (and other stuff).  Adds a great flavor to the beans   :)

As a side note:  Only us Texans know how to cook it.   ;D :D ;) :)  It's like a law or something.   ;D