PORK IT Temperature

Started by Indy Smoker, September 15, 2009, 08:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indy Smoker

Can someone please advise to what temperature I should cook a Pork Shoulder to.  I have heard anything from 165 - 190 then FTC.  Thank You

classicrockgriller

I finished two today. 25 hrs.210 temp and pull when it was 185. Others here vary with the temp they cook thiers so that is why you see different opions as to when to pull it.
welcome to the forum.

Tenpoint5

Yep everyone does it different but close to the same. I run mine to 200-205 then just set on the counter for an hour then crack the foil and breathe for another 20 minutes
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

FLBentRider

190-200F here.

FTC at least an hour.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

mikecorn.1

I like to take mine to 190. then ftc for  a few hours.
Mike

KyNola

Hey Indy,
I think you'll find the concensus of opinion will be 185-200 for pulled pork.  I know Habs says he only takes his to 175 and he is a master when it comes to all things smoked so you may have to pull that back to 175-200 but somewhere in that range you should be able to pull nicely.

KyNola

Habanero Smoker

Yes! I only take mine to 175°F, and it pulls nicely. You just need to make sure that you trim the surface fact to about 1/8", cut out any visible thick fat veins (if any) and keep the cabinet temperature at 200°F. When the meat reaches 175°F, use the fork test; stick a fork into the meat and twist, if it pulls apart easily it is done. If it doesn't pull apart, move the probe in and out slowly, if the temperature drops leave the probe in that position and continue to cook until 175°F is reached, and use the fork test again. Or if it continues to rise, whether you pull it outward or further inward, cook until the internal temperature rises another 5°F; you may just have a tougher cut then usually; again use the fork test. I've never had to do that, I always been able to take they out at 175°F.

My theory is, it not how high you get the temperature, but how long you have the temperature in the zone where collagen is converting to gelatin.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

Habs is right on. I have done the 200 cab temp and pulled at 175 IT with great success. As a general rule I normally like the 205 cab temp and pull at 185. Where I screw up is not trimming quite enough fat off sometimes. Some on here cook at 210 to 220 cab temp, but generally need to pull at IT of at least 190.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/