Atomic Buffalo Turds (Photos)

Started by monty, September 12, 2009, 01:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monty

Hey Everyone,

Tried my hand at ABTs tonight. They turned out great!

-I used 6 jalapenos, cut in half, and completely stripped of all seeds and the veins (used a small "melon baller" for this and it stripped them really well)
-Cream cheese was spreadable Philadelphia Herb & Garlic
-Wrapped the entire thing in one slice of naturally smoked bacon from my local butcher, no toothpicks
-Hit them with 2 hours of smoke ~250 or so

Hope you enjoy the pics.

-monty

Bradley Original Smoker BT1S1
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070
Char-Broil Big Easy Infrared Fryer 10101480
Napoleon Ultra Chef UP405RB

mikecorn.1

Nice, gonna have to try them cut in half like that.
Mike

Hopefull Romantic

I am the only one in my family who is absolytely nuts about hot food in general. I bet I can try those with bell pepers. What do you think

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

squirtthecat

I'd like to try something like that (bell peppers) as well.   Penos do nasty things to me.  And nobody else will eat them around here.

Hopefull Romantic

Squirt

I think I am goung to try that tomorrow and report.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

monty

by removing all the seeds and the vein/membrane it removes much of the heat/spicy kick! i was surprised how tame they were - tasted just like green bell peppers
Bradley Original Smoker BT1S1
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070
Char-Broil Big Easy Infrared Fryer 10101480
Napoleon Ultra Chef UP405RB

Caribou

Monty!
Your ABT's look fantastic and you take awesome pics, too.
Carolyn

pensrock

Nice job, they look great.

Instead of bell peppers try to fine fresh pepperonchini peppers. They are about the same size as penos but have very little heat. There are also some Italian sweet peppers that may work well also, they are shaped like a hot wax pepper but have no heat. As stated earlier, the majority of the heat is contained in the ribs or membrane that holds the seeds, the more you remove the less heat there will be. I'm not sure but I would think if the peppers were cleaned well then par boiled for a minute, not enough to soften them, that would also help remove some of the oils which hold the heat.

HawkeyeSmokes

Great looking ABT's there Monty. Pretty addictive aren't they?
HawkeyeSmokes

classicrockgriller

Monty, those look great. Mmmmm jalapenos. I love them.

These are some things I have learned about our fiery friend.
If you garden (and I don't anymore) you can buy seed for all degrees of hot/spice.
If you are buying them at the store...you still have a choice.
Look at Monty's pic before he cut his jalapenos. Kinda fat and rounded at the bottom.
These are less mild than pointed end and skinny. Don't ask me why,I don't know.
Like Monty said the seeds and vein are part of the heat.

I have grilled stuff jalapenos forever. I never really like the crunch that a jalapeno not
cooked all the way tasted like. After trying different things, I top the jalapeno , core
out seeds and veins. Put a pot of water on to boil (depending on # of jala's you are
going to use. Add appropriate pinches of salt. When water comes to boil dump em in.
When water comes back to a boil, remove after 2 to 3 minutes and dump in colander and run cold water
on them to kill the cooking. After they have kewled down procede with your stuffing.
They are softer so be easy...but you will get more of a milder taste.

Hope this helps.   Jalapenos forever !

squirtthecat

Quote from: pensrock on September 12, 2009, 04:44:51 PM
Instead of bell peppers try to fine fresh pepperonchini peppers.

Now that I would like to try...   I love those little suckers.

ArnieM

Hi CRG,

I'm gonna do my first ABTs this afternoon.  I have mostly the round, fat-bottomed ones.  I like the idea of the dunk in boiling water first.  I'm going to give that a try.  I'll report with my results.

I did some stuffed grape leaves yesterday (trying to keep busy).  They're yummy.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

pensrock

Quote from: squirtthecat on September 13, 2009, 05:26:46 AM
Quote from: pensrock on September 12, 2009, 04:44:51 PM
Instead of bell peppers try to fine fresh pepperonchini peppers.

Now that I would like to try...   I love those little suckers.

Squirt.
  Here's a little something to try if you love pepperonchini. I'm talking about the ones in a jar now, not fresh. Finely chop some shallots, get some finely crumbled bacon and softened cream cheese. Mix these together, then put into a piping bag or some other way to squeeze the mixture out. Take the peppers and make a small slice in the side, pipe some of the mixture inside. Continue till all the mixture is used up. Do not put back into liquid, place on a tray and cover for and hour or two. Then serve. Delish! These take a while to do, but are so worth it. Enjoy.
pens

squirtthecat

Quote from: pensrock on September 19, 2009, 08:37:02 AM
Squirt.
  Here's a little something to try if you love pepperonchini. I'm talking about the ones in a jar now, not fresh. Finely chop some shallots, get some finely crumbled bacon and softened cream cheese. Mix these together, then put into a piping bag or some other way to squeeze the mixture out. Take the peppers and make a small slice in the side, pipe some of the mixture inside. Continue till all the mixture is used up. Do not put back into liquid, place on a tray and cover for and hour or two. Then serve. Delish! These take a while to do, but are so worth it. Enjoy.
pens

Sounds good! Thanks!