Eggplant help?

Started by ArnieM, September 09, 2009, 03:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

I've done a 'Turkey Eggplant Casserole' a few times that turned out good.  It's almost a Weight Watchers recipe..  Let me try to find it..

It's definitely "low octane".  But it tastes good, and is quite filling, I'm sure it could be kicked up as necessary.

squirtthecat

Here goes.  I'm sure it would be good w/ ground pork, venison, a mix of both, chopped penos, cayenne, etc...

I think I added Worcestershire and some seasoned salt while cooking the turkey to give it a little more oomph.

"Turkey Eggplant Casserole"

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 1/4 pounds ground skinless turkey breast
    * 1 onion, chopped
    * 3 garlic cloves, minced
    * 1 large (1.5 pounds) eggplant, cubed
    * 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes (no salt)
    * 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
    * 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
    * 3/4 cup seasoned dried bread crumbs
    * 1 teaspoon dried basil
    * 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese **I use 1/2 cup - yummy

PREPARATION:
Makes 8 servings.

Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 13"x9" baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.

Spray a large nonstick saucepan or Dutch oven with nonstick cooking spray; heat. Add the turkey, onion and garlic; cook, stirring as needed, until the turkey is browned and the onion is softened, 5-6 minutes.

Add the eggplant, tomatoes, peppers, bread crumbs and basil; bring to a boil, stirring as needed.

Transfer the turkey mixture to pan and bake, covered until the veggies are tender, 45-50 minutes; uncover and sprinkle with cheese.
Bake until the cheese is slightly browned, about 15 minutes longer. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Caribou

Arnie,
Those eggplants are beautiful!
Folks are posting great recipes, too!
Carolyn

ArnieM

Thanks for the compliment on the eggplants Carolyn.  Yep, the recipes look and as I previously said, I'm collecting them.

Hey STC, thanks for the recipe.  BTW,

• Is Squirt the name of your cat?
  • Do you squirt the cat when it's naughty?
  • Do you have a cat?

We have 3 indoor cats and keep a squirt bottle handy to "ease the tension" when they start going at it  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

squirtthecat

Quote from: ArnieM on September 10, 2009, 11:47:01 AM
Thanks for the compliment on the eggplants Carolyn.  Yep, the recipes look and as I previously said, I'm collecting them.

Hey STC, thanks for the recipe.  BTW,

• Is Squirt the name of your cat?
  • Do you squirt the cat when it's naughty?
  • Do you have a cat?

We have 3 indoor cats and keep a squirt bottle handy to "ease the tension" when they start going at it  ;D

Yes, not yet but it is coming soon, 3.

Not to hijack the thread with cat talk, but here is the background.

Squirt is my 14 year old, 16 pound, diabetic buddy.    Here is the full version of my thumbnail:

He took over the heated cat bed from his litter mate we lost in February.

I get his insulin supplies at Walgreens, and they have him on account as "Squirt The Ca".  Somebody flubbed when typing it in.  We added the 't' back in later.

Long story short, he's developed an inoperable tumor, so his days are winding down quickly.  The day we found out about that, 2 kittens appeared at the vet clinic in need of a home.   2 Russian Blue mutts.  Beautiful cats.  They almost look like they are related to our Squirt.   So the vet 'fixed' them up and I brought them home and gave them new names.

"Boris & Natasha"

(Boris had the satellite dish on while his stitches healed, we nicknamed him 'Sputnik' for a few days)

All three together, trying to place nice.  The resemblance is eerie.  Born 14 years (almost to the week) and 40 miles apart.

I guess it was meant to be.

And yes, we are almost to the point we need a squirt bottle to keep them off of the counter tops...  Especially when I have meat 'resting' for a trip to the Bradley!

ArnieM

Don't worry about hijacking the thread STC - I asked.  People can ignore the posts if they don't like them.  We also lost one in Feb. of this year - Yoda.  He had some kind of stones.  The vet operated and we brought him home.  He was bleeding all over.  The vet said "Well, maybe the inner stitches were too loose."  So we brought him back the next morning, they put him under again, restitched and that was it.  I'd love to shoot the SOB.

So, here's a few pics back at you.

This is Allie (cat), a Maine Coon, the oldest cat and the only female in the house.  The boys pick on her but she has a great right hook.

This is TC, a Bengal (Top Cat, Terror Cat, etc.)  He's the youngest.  He was shipped here (to CT) from Oregon.  He's the one in my thumbnail.

This is Xane, actually my daughter's cat that lives here.  He's a Burmese, mink or sable, I forget.  He came from western PA.  He's here with his cousin Yoda (same breeder), a blue Burmese, the deceased.

Finally, it's happy time.

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

squirtthecat

Those are beauties...   

So sorry to hear you lost one due to a vet's stupid "mistake".   It's hard.